Bait Ban Poll

xrap

Hey guys if i could open up the poll for everyone to vote i would ...And BBR Rich i can not delete votes ...your post i can delete as well as your account seems you have nothing good to say anymore anyways ..

Edited by Fishmaster

Irish, i agree with what you posted, except i have to point out one error.

commercial bait fisherman have licenses that determine where they can net. its not quite as easy as 'picking up and moving up north.'

you need a license for the water up north your netting from, and trust me, commercial bait licenses are not easy to come by. they have all been granted to baiters, therefore, in order to get rights to an area, they have to be purchased from the owner.....not cheap.

that is all.

Thanks Steve! Yes I know, was just trying to generalize that the same # of people will be needed to supply the demand. That will mean that the Northern Licence holders will need more employees to do so.

That said, the Northern retail bait sellers are having a hard time stocking minnows...since they can't get them from the south... were things aren't frozen over!! Talked with Jim at Dad's in Temagami about 10 minutes ago and he has just enough Shiners to MAYBE get him thru the weekend.

As for the commercial vs personal catching of minnows down south. The guy that collects his personal minnows is no doubt fishing the area...not heading North with them to spread disease. Were as the Commercial operator has no control over where the minnows are heading...as SOP seems to be for fishermen/women to grab 6 to 10 dozen minnows on their way out of TO.... at their favourite bait shop...blow some oxygen in the bags and head up North. This way they know they have bait and they don't lose time fishing by taking the time to support the local bait shops when they get up there. Made sense at the time....but the times are a changing, so please change your tactics and buy bait local to where you are fishing.

Thanks Steve! Yes I know, was just trying to generalize that the same # of people will be needed to supply the demand. That will mean that the Northern Licence holders will need more employees to do so.

That said, the Northern retail bait sellers are having a hard time stocking minnows...since they can't get them from the south... were things aren't frozen over!! Talked with Jim at Dad's in Temagami about 10 minutes ago and he has just enough Shiners to MAYBE get him thru the weekend.

As for the commercial vs personal catching of minnows down south. The guy that collects his personal minnows is no doubt fishing the area...not heading North with them to spread disease. Were as the Commercial operator has no control over where the minnows are heading...as SOP seems to be for fishermen/women to grab 6 to 10 dozen minnows on their way out of TO.... at their favourite bait shop...blow some oxygen in the bags and head up North. This way they know they have bait and they don't lose time fishing by taking the time to support the local bait shops when they get up there. Made sense at the time....but the times are a changing, so please change your tactics and buy bait local to where you are fishing.

I agree totaly but as of right now anybody can catch there own bait and take it anywhere you like ..not good at all but call Mr . Cooper of the MNR and he will say the same thing there is nothing stopping anglers for moven the VHS to other inland lakes ..makes no sence to me ..as for travleing all the way north to find out no shops have bait it could really ruin a trip without your Fav Bait ..

But how many actually catch their own bait and take it North. Very minimal in the past..and of course this may change drastically with current goings on. This new Regs does make it illegal for a private citizen to bring bait North... that they have caught themselves down south...so education is the key here and message boards like this should be getting the word out much quicker than the days of pen and poster.

If you are concerned for the well being of our fisheries, as a bait seller, try to educate the guys that frequent your shop of this fact and not just that you can't sell them any minnows to take North. I'm sure once the smoke clears there will be safe bait available everywhere, just going to make this winter interesting I bet.

As for nothing stopping anglers from moving the VHS North/inland..nothing but using their brains but I know too many, like the 8 pole wonders trolling St. Clair are self serving and don't care what the regs are and will do it anyhow.

I personally would prefer that they have their trip "ruined" without their favourite bait...as I sure don't want VHS in our lake because some that don't give a bull bring VHS infected minnows with him/her.

Edited by irishfield

Very true irishfield ...i do let all my customers no whats going on in the bait world and that you shouldn't use minnows out of the effected area ..but bait has been transport from Lake Erie to dealers up north for the last 100 years ...you would think if one lake has a problem they would all have it ..me for one i just want to be able to catch and sell bait to local guys and keep my minnows inside the enfected zone ..i have seen more bait this year then every. you would think if they have VHS they would want use to atleast get them outa the water ways so more fish won't eat them ..not once has the MNR ever tested our minnows to see if the have VHS ..

But how many actually catch their own bait and take it North. Very minimal in the past..and of course this may change drastically with current goings on. This new Regs does make it illegal for a private citizen to bring bait North... that they have caught themselves down south...so education is the key here and message boards like this should be getting the word out much quicker than the days of pen and poster.

i do agree with you Wayne, but there are ALOT of semi- serious to causal anglers, who dont frequent the internet at all or even know these kind of sites/messgae boards exist

The north can never supply our demand for bait ...just spoke to a guy heading to Nip and the guy told him Large shinners are $12 a doz right now and he dont think he will have minnows for very long due to the guy he buys from in the south can't supply him anymore ..

I usually catch my own bait, frogs or crayfish, occasionally when I need/want them, but if there is substance for the MNR doing what they are doing I don't have any problem with it.

Forsure, we do not need anymore invasive species or diseases spreading to our natural resources such as gamefish which I'm sure as members of this forum we all hold dear to our hearts. If this means bait store owners suffering as a cost of these measures enforced by the MNR this year, this is the price to pay "we" must pay to sustain these important resources.

Without these resources or gamefish, baitstore owners would have nothing to sell in the first place. As with any business, store owners are going to have to adapt to changing business environments that every area of business encounter.

People might feel different about this topic if they

had seen some of the 50 lb. plus muskies that I

saw floating in the St. Lawrence in the spring of

2005. I sure wouldn't want that VHS disease spread

to other bodies of water by the transportation of

bait fish! I feel sorry for the bait dealers but there

IS a reason for this step by the MNR.

I agree with you Rus. I don't know if the logic of banning the harvesting of southern bait for use in southern waters is in line with what Irishfield thinks it is or not. I would think they should continue to allow guys like Fishmaster to harvest in the Grand River for use in the GRand River. That makes sense.

I wonder if Newtons on Hwy 69 will charge $20 a dozen come spring.

There's one thing we should probably all be doing when buying bait outside of the quarantine...GET A RECEIPT!! Make sure you get one that indicates where the minnows were purchased. I'll guarantee there will be issues on Simcoe with this.

And bait sellers...make sure you have receipts that show your location so anglers can show the CO's they are in compliance.