Saskatchewan Report

HTHM

The time comes for departure, I had asked at the west jet counter the night before if I could take my rod onto the aircraft, they said sure no problem, when I arrive to check in, I am told, no you can't take that in the cabin, to which I replied that I had been told I could. One Mexican standoff later, (which had my wife shaking her head and doing a mad dash back home to get my rod tube, {we live 5 mins from Hamilton airport}), I board the aircraft and the luggage handlers know that I will be very upset if anything happens to my rod.

When I arrived in Saskatoon, the temp was around 21, the following day the temp was 35, the day after that it was .......................6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wallbash: The purpose of the trip was to renovate a farmhouse for my brother in law so his hired hand could live there. Fishing was not the primary purpose, however when one travels to new waters one should fish them.

Work is done, phone calls are made, more work is done, and Holdfast and I have arrangements to meet up on Friday afternoon. Having never met the man before, I am curious as to what he would be like. He is ex-military, so I was reasonably confident we would get along, and he sounded like a decent fellow when we spoke on the phone. As well, I went back to something that Big Cliff told me, He had never met an OFC'er he did not like. So, ya, I was not too worried.

In our conversations Holdfast had indicated to me that I would see parts of Sask that most people do not. Quite beautiful actually. By this time I realized that the plains are not so flat that you can watch your dog run away from home for three days, but rather the topography is quite similar to the Niagara peninsula at the top of the escarpment. Saskatchewan.jpg

Well Friday comes, I work till noon and I am off! I drive from Saskatoon to North Battleford, stopping in a small town on the way to get my licence. The first thing I notice as I walk in the store, is all the UN-SECURED deer-rifle and shotgun ammo behind the counter. I could have reached over and helped myself. Approaching the counter, I ask for the licence. The counterman takes out the piece of straw from the corner of his mouth and places it ever so carefully in the opposite corner and asks, resident or non-resident? Non-resident I reply, he says, can't help you. Now, I had just spent 3/4 of an hour in the town waiting for ALL the stores to open after lunch. Frustrated????? YEP! :wallbash::whistling:

Well, I travel on and get to the meeting place. Holdfast is arriving after I do, so I pull up with my Timmies, and watch this VERY large bull eying my truck and me. I eye him back, and we decide that further action is not necessary.

AH HA what is that in the distance, an approaching vehicle?! What a rare sight in rural Sask. To set the scene, you know the character in the movie, Deliverance? The one that says, "Boy I'm gonna make you squeal like a pig" Well Holdfast steps out of his truck and I swear when he smiled, the only thing missing in the resemblance was the duelling banjos playing in the background. Well, never judge a book by its cover! He turned out to be one of the better guys that I met through the board.

holdfast.jpgWALLEYE1.jpgPIKE1.jpg

On to the fishing...

That night we went out on Big River, and managed three pike (Jack out there) of a decent size 14 - 16" in an hour. Then we went out to eat and had another conversation with a different Jack, but a short one as we wanted to hit the water early. Mr Daniels is a very good conversationalist.

Well 6 am arrived and we are off. After a 40-minute drive we arrive at the lake of choice, launch and start to troll. About 2 minutes later Holdfast says, I’m surprised we haven’t hooked anything yet. I smile to myself and put that down to bravado, then thirty seconds later his rod bends, and he pulls in a 3.5 pound pickerel, releases it and we carry on. Another 10 minutes go by and I hook into my first fish of the day, a 14” pike. This pattern continued for most of the day, trolling likely bays and shorelines, and Holdfast saying, this is so poor, we should be hauling them in. PIKE_7.jpg

Then we tried frozen minnows for some pickerel, after some instruction from Holdfast I am into my first ever walleye! At ¾ of a pound it was no great shakes but it was still a new species. Five minutes later, I am wrestling with a 4 ½ pound pickerel my best ever!PIKE_5.jpg

Holdfast is apologizing that the fishing is so poor today, yet I have never had a better day. We boated about 20 fish; here are some examples:

As well I saw the world record Rainbow trout on display at a Saskatoon tackle shop. wrrainbow.jpg

PIKE_2.jpg

The first thing I notice as I walk in the store, is all the UN-SECURED deer-rifle and shotgun ammo behind the counter. I could have reached over and helped myself.

I,ll bet your hand would of got blown off before you got even half way to reaching for one.LOL

Great report.

TFS.

too have meet some great people to this board....

Yea,theres a few good joes around here. :Gonefishing::clapping: