quick question about Lake Erie regs

bassman

I don't remember which states, but some allow the use of up to 8 rods for crappie fishing. I've seen the rig they mount them on across the bow of the boat. There is no sport in that at all.

However, as they say, to each his own. I can only cast one rod at a time.

I'm sure you have some DUMB rules in your country too. If you can't a catch fish with one rod, what's the point of using two.

OH, we have MANY dumb rules here, too many to list. But when you are trolling the Great Lakes you really need a presentation of many lures/baits in the water column.

I myself only use more than one rod while Great Lake trolling. Even though we can use two rods in our inland lakes I find it a hindrance more than helpful while for example crappie fishing. Even when I am perch fishing on Lake Erie I only use one rod because I can better concentrate on the light biters and I don't want to make fishing a chore. When I was younger I always used two rods but I think I catch more fish using only one now.

OH, we have MANY dumb rules here, too many to list. But when you are trolling the Great Lakes you really need a presentation of many lures/baits in the water column.

I myself only use more than one rod while Great Lake trolling. Even though we can use two rods in our inland lakes I find it a hindrance more than helpful while for example crappie fishing. Even when I am perch fishing on Lake Erie I only use one rod because I can better concentrate on the light biters and I don't want to make fishing a chore. When I was younger I always used two rods but I think I catch more fish using only one now.

So then what exactly makes it a dumb rule?

So then what exactly makes it a dumb rule?

If you're referring to the one rod rule in some of the Great Lake waters in Canadian waters while Canada still allows gill net fishing for commercial fishermen. That's one of the reasons it's IMHO a dumb rule. The US outlawed gill netting YEARS ago on the Great Lakes.

Here in NYS most waters have a 15" minimum rule for walleye. But while deep water jigging during the LATE fall walleye bite I catch many fish just under 15". Since they are caught in very deep water, sometimes as deep as 70' the release survival rate is low. It would be much better to just have a 5 fish limit of any size during this time of the year. That way I wouldn't catch 15-20 fish to get five keepers. Another dumb rule IMHO.

Bob