Couple boat questions

blarg

Hey, im having a couple of small issues with my boat, its a new crestliner fishhawk, the first issue is i have quite alot of play in the steering before the engine starts to move, its a safe-t model, and my outboard shakes a little on idle, i didnt notice this when it was brand new but i know ive seen it on other outboards.

So, would anyone know where or how i could find info on how to adjust the steering, and is the slight shake anything to worry about or can i tighten it.

thanks

I too have a new Crestliner Fish Hawk (1600).

P1000584.jpg

If anything, on mine the steering is too tight. There is absolutely no play and no shaking. It is as solid as Sears.

I loosened off the steering tensioning screw on the motor and (especially when under load) there are times when I have to use two hands to turn the wheel. I had it back to Proctors and they said it was normal (the newness perhaps?).

Sorry, I know that this doesn't help you much, except to say if it's new, get it back to the dealer.

Jim

My Yammy 115 four/fuelie has a small vibration at idle ( not really a shake), steering has some looseness but not much. Haven't seen a non-power steering boat with great steering yet- nature of the beast. Steering should be pretty effortless at normal speeds as long as boat is trimmed properly.

There should be no play in the steering. Look at the shaft of the steering cable where it comes out to the engine. It should immediately move when you turn your steering wheel. If it doesn't see your dealer right away to have it repaired. Make sure all the connections are tight.

This shaking you are feeling, is it only when you have it in gear or in neutral?

Shake, shimmy, turns hard, turning seems loose. I hate to say it but this stuff is just something that has to be expected. I did once have the steering break on me, now that's a problem when you're a few miles from the launch.

Have fun with your new boat and REMEMBER the definition of a boat is ............. hole in the water you keep pouring money into :)

Edited by Billy Bob