Father and Son Weekend

Mike the Pike

After planning this trip in July the time came to go to Swanton Vermont for some father and son fishing with good friend GlennK

and our sons.The boyZ could not wait for this weekend to come.

Well Glenn took the day off Friday and I wish I had done the same but with only 2 days holiday remaining I could not take the time off

I had saved those 2 days for Bay of Quinte in November.

I arrived late Friday afternoon and was greeted by GlennK and his son.

Now here I am 100 feet away in my van and I can see Glenn's huge ear to ear smile

so bright and wide he almost slit his own throat; now I knew at that moment he had a good day.

Now he didn't want to show me pics he kept his days catch in the livewell well you know to show me

how good of a fisherman he has become.All fish were released after the pics.Outing after outing Glenn is always catching fish.

As for me well you will see NOT MUCH :wallbash:

Friday night started off not so well I get to the launch and the Bermuda Triangle came my way

a dead battery tried boosting but nothing would work so back to the cottage I charged the battery and I was good to go saturday

morning so I thought.We decided to fish a river and hide from the 3 foot plus chop but the river has also become brown.

So after 15 mins of fishing my bow mount electric motor dies .Now I charged the battery before I left but nope it was dead.

When we returned at lunch I put the battery on charge using Glenn's charger for a second time.I think its time for a new charger.

Have to tell the wife my birthday is coming next month :whistling:

Worst of all I did not trim up my motor high enough Saturday night so the pounding surf sent my motor banging into the sand

so my once perfect foot is now missing a piece about the size of a Quarter.Yup lesson learned AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhURRRRRR

Anyhoo on with the report and Pics.

So here is what Glenn caught Friday not bad at all :thumbsup_anim:

IMG_2323_1.jpg

IMG_2324_1.jpg

IMG_2325_1.jpg

IMG_2326_1.jpg

IMG_2327_1.jpg

Our accomadations for the weekend.

IMG_2335_1.jpg

Unfortunately Saturday arrived but so did the wind got to Glenn's productive spot from Friday

and OH NO water looks like chocolate milk it was choppy and rough even some of the rivers

were brown.

Lake Champlain can really get get nasty I can now say my New Lund handles the big water chop with eaze

I was surprized how steady she is and able to plow through some big chop.I am very satisfied with this boat.

IMG_2336_1.jpg

IMG_2339_1.jpg

My happy son the die hard fisherman.

IMG_2340_1.jpg

I did forget to mention I spent many summers here in Swanton Vermont when I was a kid

Many memories some of my best memories fishing with my Grand parents.

The pic showing the tunnel was a favorite fishing spot of mine some 30 yrs ago

I once caught 2 pretty nice Chain Pikeral there.

IMG_2341_1.jpg

Did I mention conditions were tough Saturday despite the murky water Glenn managed another snot rocket :dunno::worthy:

We woke up early Sunday and the weather was nasty so we made a decision to pack it in early and drive back to Quebec to

fish our favorite spots on the Richelieu River .When we arrive the sun was shining the water was crystal clear and the wind

was no where close to the force of Lake Champlain.

After only catching a perch in Vermont my son caught his PB Pike did not weigh or measure it but

it was probably over 4lbs.That was the highlite of his weekend .

BTW he wanted me to post it on OFC to show it off he is proud of his new PB Pike.

IMG_2351_1.jpg

IMG_2352_1.jpg

IMG_2354_1.jpg

This guy had quite the battle scar check out the whole in the throat(OUCH)it appeared to be healing.

IMG_2355_1.jpg

I almost got skunked sunday but managed this little snotty rocket .

I can't explain it but this has not been a good year for me fishing.

Hope that changes soon because I have been putting in alot of time.

Mike the Pike

Nice Pics Mike. I also grew up close to Swanton in a place just outside of Alburg called North Hero. First Girlfriend was from Swanton and we as kids always enjoyed on the rare occasion shopping there. Couldn't Beat lake Champlain for Panfish that's for sure. A Question though, years ago they had stocked it for Lake trout which were rare to catch then, what is the word on them

Thanks for the report, Mike. Sounds like a good time. Want me to talk to Ryan and maybe suggest he let you catch a few from time to time?

I don't imagine the turnover has started on Champlain or Memphre?

edit: That hole through the pike's lower jaw was done by a boga grip. If you have trouble touching fish, get yourself some gloves.

Thanks for the report, Mike. Sounds like a good time. Want me to talk to Ryan and maybe suggest he let you catch a few from time to time?

I don't imagine the turnover has started on Champlain or Memphre?

edit: That hole through the pike's lower jaw was done by a boga grip. If you have trouble touching fish, get yourself some gloves.

Roy I was not holding the fish I do use gloves for the bigger fish these days I have shyed away from the lip grip.

Ryan made several attempts to hold the fish with his hands but his little hands just are not strong enough to hold

a pike of this size.I would have to agree the boga grip if it is the one made by Rapala looks like it can do some

damage.This Berkley lip however does not go as far down as the scar seen on the pic of the pike.

The berkley lip grip is a far more gentle holding device compared to others when used properly.

I think the fish should be supported horizontally when the device is used although some of us pose vertical

with the device ,This does not harm a lighter fish.The lip grip pivots when a fish thrashes therefore allowing jaw

movement.I have not even seen a fish bleed from its lower jaw using this device and not one fish was ever harmed

from my Berkley lip grip and that I would be prepared to argue blue in the face with anyone who disagrees.

This device is gentle if properly used but I would not want to see a huge fish held vertically.

Another problem is trying to find some kind of gloves to fit a small kid they are just not available only the winter

gloves are available in kids sizes.If I get something of larger size you can count on me using gloves .

I have a different holding technique for the 5lbs and under pike after that I will put on the glove.

I had a bad experience holding a pike once the proper way but the fish thrashed and I cut my fingers very badly.

Ryan will grow his hands will get bigger and there will be reduction to use the lip grip.A toothy critter is still a bit frightening

for a 9 year old its just a matter of time we will no longer need the lip grip.Your comment was directed at me and I rarely use this

device these days.Now give a 9 year old a break.Perhaps you have a small pair of gloves that may fit Ryan :whistling:

MTP

Edited by Mike the Pike

Mike, you KNOW that what I said was not directed at Ryan. But if you think that, well...I apologize. Didn't mean to put a wrinkle in your day.

It's still a great report and I thank you for sharing your weekend.

But really Mike....I didn't recognize you without the sign. :D

Mike, you KNOW that what I said was not directed at Ryan. But if you think that, well...I apologize. Didn't mean to put a wrinkle in your day.

It's still a great report and I thank you for sharing your weekend.

But really Mike....I didn't recognize you without the sign. :D

No harm done I tried to sound as kind as I could but I just wanted to point out that not all lip grips are harmful.I felt it was pointed more at me.

Oh don't remind me about the little bullhead I am sure it will be a classic photo for years to come on this site :canadian:

Caught my first fish ever in Lake Champlain (a perch) when i was 2 1/2 yrs.old. (Born in St.Bruno, QC)

My father still goes on about my saying 'pish' 'pish'.

Great report looks like fun was had. Can't help but be a good time with your son. :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for posting this.

ehg