Crappie Tire GPS

Casey123

I bought my venture HC at Radioworld for $150. Check them out 4reel, they have better prices. I'm not sure if the CTC comes with adavnced software, the venture I bought just came with the basic map. If you search on the net you can find some downloadable topomaps.

The unit itself, I love it. Very easy to use. Great on battery life. Picks up a signal even in deep bush. Accurate. I would recommend it to anyone. Tells us how you make out if you decide to purchase it, you wont be dissapointed.

Another great buy is the Garmin 76CSX for $269 from GPS City. This unit has a bigger screen, better sensitivity, waterproof and it floats.

Doug is right and I prefer this over the venture as it has more features including routing but this does not include maps so be prepared to buy a CD if you don't have one already.

By the way anyone care to swap a bluechart for a metroguide?

I just checked with our Caledonia CT. They had none (I got a rain check) but she said that Stoney Creek and Hamilton Centre had 5 left each.

I checked Radioworld and they are $149, but Canadain Tire's is a bundle that icludes "MapSource MetroGuide Canada CD, dash mount, USB cable, 12V charger" All extra at Radioworld.

If anyone knows why I should not get one of these, please say now.

Thanks,

Jim

I checked Radioworld and they are $149, but Canadain Tire's is a bundle that icludes "MapSource MetroGuide Canada CD, dash mount, USB cable, 12V charger" All extra at Radioworld.

If anyone knows why I should not get one of these, please say now.

for me, the 1 deciding factor for this package is not the included extras but the fact that this unit does not use memory expansion cards. I just checked and Metroguide for just ontario regions is 60-70M, this unit ony has 24M internal memory. If you want topo for offroad info and you`re looking at even larger maps. Anyways, if you don`t mind loading and reloading maps, these units are good, but they will be a bit of a pain for long trips covering a lot of ground. ...for example, a road trip on a motorcycle down to florida..useless without bringing a laptop. That is a nice group of accessories but it`s a big tradeoff.

for me, the 1 deciding factor for this package is not the included extras but the fact that this unit does not use memory expansion cards. I just checked and Metroguide for just ontario regions is 60-70M, this unit ony has 24M internal memory. If you want topo for offroad info and you`re looking at even larger maps. Anyways, if you don`t mind loading and reloading maps, these units are good, but they will be a bit of a pain for long trips covering a lot of ground. ...for example, a road trip on a motorcycle down to florida..useless without bringing a laptop. That is a nice group of accessories but it`s a big tradeoff.

At the risk of sounding like a moron, I am not sure what you just said. Are you saying that there is not enough room in this unit for large maps?

Let me ask this: If I go to Doe lake, will it have it on there somewhere and will it help me to find the shoal? Or will it have the water depths in Erie marked?

I am not much of a drive to Florida type, but I would like to mark some spots on different lakes for return trips.

Have I got the right unit?

Thanks,

Jim

I wanted to say that I think this GPS is good but you were looking for 1 reason not buy it...that would be mine. Having unexpandable memory would not be an issue for a lot of users. Having only fixed internal memory also means you cannot buy any preconfigured map cards/chips for this particular unit. you have to build and load anything you want to use.

The H series gps's have good receivers and the venture/vista/legends are nice and small. Size is the one disadvantage of the GPSMAP 76CSx mentioned in another reply, it's a monster when you have to carry that thing around. I have the 60CSx and it's a differnt shape but roughly the same bulkyness as the 76, and that's my tradeoff.

Most GPS's come with nothing installed except a basic undetailed continental map unless it's a unit pre-packaged for a specific buyer in mind. kinda like this ctc sale unit.

You can mark spots on any gps with no maps installed. it'll be a blank screen with the path you're moving on and you that's how it used to be.