Lake Simcoe Reports

bassman

Hey gang,

I normally spend my weekends up on Simcoe pursuing LMB's, SMB's, pike, and perch.

I've noticed, and in speaking to others that frequent Simcoe, that the fishing has been slow this year. Perhaps the Carp die off has affected the bite?

I've also noticed that there have not been too many reports out of Simcoe this summer.

Have you guys noticed a difference?

This is the first year I have given the lake a try. Heard great things about the smallmouth fishery & have had no success. Too bad because it's very handy to get to. Not many descent lakes I can have a boat in the water in less than an hour. Some people I have talked to including a CO have said the fishing has been slow all season. But I do still see the odd fisher with good catches.

Bill

I believe the lake is going through a change,it may have something to do with the carp die off. Thats JMO. When Terry and I were out last weekend and during a tourny the weekend before,the water seem to be very cloudy (never seen it that way before). The fish are there,you just have to adapt and change your approuch to them IMO.

First post on here.....

I live in Keswick and fish Simcoe almost every weekend. I have noticed that the Bass this year are smaller and harder to find although I have had more Pike than ever and the Perch seem larger and more plentiful. Whitefish was good earlier but the old boat has broken down again so reduced to shore fishing until ice over.

Also a bait shop has recently opened at Jacksons point....dont have a coffee pot or liars bench outside yet. Nice people and deserve a look in

Well I guess I am doing pretty good then. I have very good luck out there this year with the whities, lakers and perch. The perch fishing this fall is amazing. I did notice though, that the perch were gorging on crawfish that were about 1/2" to 1" in length. Give it a week and it will be really hot out there, for action that is!

Rob C

I normally spend a bit of time on Simcoe, the 2 times I got out were awesome , on July 20 we caught 15 fish on a real wet nasty day our 5 best won the CSFL tournament with 24.88 lbs including a six pounder, last week I took my freind Murray Smith and Rosa Sharpe from Lures and Tours.com to get some fish pictures again we caught about 15-20 smallies and a big bowfin(man they pull) , with Murrays PB 6.4 lbs on an X-tool scale, I belive with the irregular weather patterns the fish are still there but not as active, typically productive baits like spinnerbaits and jerkbaits have not been as effective, in the tournament I saw several teams whiz by using jerkbaits and leaving, we only got bit dropshotting Slammers, last week , Senkos seem to work well, so I belive finding fish and slowing down has been the key.

simcoe_win.jpg

Edited by Mark Kulik

The weather does play a major factor with trying to figure out patterns

just remember we had record rain falls this summer and tons of cold

fronts over all the cool summer and high water levels are making it

harder to locate fish, you aint the only one that noticed the difference lots of

people here do.

Edited by PatrickG

The weather does play a major factor with trying to figure out patterns

just remember we had record rain falls this summer and tons of cold

fronts over all the cool summer and high water levels are making it

harder to locate fish, you aint the only one that noticed the difference lots of

people here do.

Those differences have affected every body of water. I've found slowing down the presentation or downsizing have been key to consistent results.