MAKING YOUR OWN RODS

Almontefisher

Hey all: Just wondering if any of you have done this before. I will have some spare time this winter with the new baby and all and wont get out much on the hardwater so I thought I would try to make my own rod. Should I buy a full kit for my first or what???

Peter,

you mean tipups right! Don't buy the ones in the stores....they charge an harm and a leg for one. I make my own and it's real cheap and easy to make. I haven't put the details of building one onto paper yet but when I do will be posting a thread.....I'm just waiting for the right time to post cause there still a lot of soft water fishing to do.

Jacques

Spare time with new baby, please tell me how you plan on pulling that one off, we had two now 12 and 13 and even now no such thing as spare time.

Okay, catching a fish on anything that you have made personally will always give you a great feeling.

Help the wife as much as possible, and that may get you a bit of "spare time" and go for it.

FLEX

Hey Peter,

I have built quite a few custom rods both for myself and for others.

If this is your first time, I recommend getting a kit that has everything you need. (blank, guides, handle assembly, epoxy, etc).

Once you get the hang of it after a rod or two, then you can custom order parts to build a rod to your liking.

Good luck, and be sure to post the process/results!

Cheers,

*Stoty

Well what I meant by spare time is that I have an amazing wife who lets me go free every now and then but I do take my turn at the kid show for sure...My son is a great sleeper so during certain times of the day I have a few hours to kill while he sleeps so I will fill that void if possible with this. Now I just jinxed myself :wallbash:

Jacques: I will try to build some of those tip ups as well...When you get the details on paper let me know.

Stoty: I will buy a kit and will post the progress for all to follow...All goofs etc will be posted. I am ordering it today so a few weeks and I should be good to go. Thanks for the responses and I am sure I will be asking for some help with this alot.

Peter

Now you’ve got me thinking.

After years of paying for clubs and re-gripping, Last year I re-gripped my own clubs using a kit from Golfsmith. After that went well I built a driver and three-wood from a kit. They both turned out very well and there is a definite feeling of pride every time I use them.

I have not looked into rod kits yet, but if they are anything like the club kits that are available I say go for it. What have you got to loose, especially when you consider what there is to gain.

Good building!

• 2 weeks later...