Simcoe lake trout

Cudz

Launched from Barrie and went out to the big water. On the way we smelled a skunk. "Not a good sign" my buddy says. Last time he smelled a skunk on the way out that is exactly what he got. I laughed.

Long story short. We cleaned spoons for 3 and half hours. Nothing. I decided I didn't want to get skunked so we pulled up and hit my smallmouth spot. Fished for about 30 minutes and we managed 4 fish. Here is a pic of one. Another football. They are already starting to pack on the pounds. The last half an hour salvaged what would have been a skunk-day. Better than nothing. Much better than work.

smaugharris.JPG

Edited by Cudz

The lakers seem to be cooperating lately. 85-110 fow. Bottom bouncing the balls or just off bottom. I've been having luck with Green NK's. I'm no expert and have only been getting the 3-5 lb range. Lucky if we get two in an outing. Some friends jigging near Fox have been dooing just as good.

RR

The lakers seem to be cooperating lately. 85-110 fow. Bottom bouncing the balls or just off bottom. I've been having luck with Green NK's. I'm no expert and have only been getting the 3-5 lb range. Lucky if we get two in an outing. Some friends jigging near Fox have been dooing just as good.

RR

LOL. We were in 80-95ft of water. Bottom bouncing with green NKs. lol. Not for us today.

Long leads ...... 60 ft? I'll be out all next week. Bottom bouncing (for my net).

RR

You see that is what I told my friend. used to fish Simcoe with riggers about 20 years ago and we always used 40ft leads. My buddy insisted yesterday that we use 10ft leads! 10 ft! that seemed really short but he has got fish on them before so I cooperated.

20ft leads work much better, too long and your lure is just going to drag bottom. Using flutter spoons like suttons and mooselooks with a single hook is best for bouncing. you have to troll real slow too. .5-1.5. I use a drift sock to help slow me down.

check you line every 30min to make usre you have no weeds or small fish.

If the fish are still off switch to nk's or other spoons, silver hammered, greens and blues 2-10ft off bottom.

works almost everytime :)

Troutguy are you lengthing your leads when not bottom bouncing? I get nothing on leads less than 40 ft. The magic length for us seem to be the 50-60 ft. I'm usually just off bottom and my hooks are clean when I bring them up to change. Have not been able to find Sutton Spoons yet in the Barrie area. Haven't tried Cdn tire yet though. Not doing good like familyguy though.

RR