Stony Report

Guest Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

Me and Patrick decided to go fishing Wednesday. It was a toss up between a lake I know that is loaded with smallies, or Stony. Patrick picked Stony.

Got there nice and early but had to wait 45 minutes for the Marina to open!

We were on the lake by about 7:30. Went to my first pickerel spot. Worked it for an hour. I finally hooked one! Was bringing it to the boat, I could already taste it and it got off!! But without a doubt, it was pickerel head shakes. Was bummed out. Patrick hooked a little Largie and that was it.

There was still alot more of the weedline to work but Patrick wanted to change pattterns.

Tried the falls. Hit a few smallies. Lost a 3 pounder on a jig and grub!

Worked a few other weedlines we found on senkos, catching alot of small largies and smallies, bluegills, sunfish, and rockbass.Mostly on grubs. Lost a 3 lb largie again! Thats the third one!!Looks like I will be shopping around for jigs with a better barb!

Decided to go to my second spot. Its for pickerel on one side and largies on the other. We hardly worked the pickerel side. The largies were there in big numbers. We didn't hook any big ones but we spooked a couple of big ones and Patrick lost a nice chunky bass on a spinner bait.

Decided to look for hell's gate. Found it. Worked it. Immediately we started catching smallies. I also had a 30-32 inch musky follow right to the boat after trying to free my spinner bait from weeds. Gave it a yank and she appeared out of no where.

Kept working it and Patrick goes, there is largie heaven. Pads close to really deep water. Sure enough, we started nailing largies. Was going to go to my other pickerel spot, but we were a little lost. This is only the 3rd time I've been to this lake and one of the times I launched at McCrakens. We didn't even go check those spots I found there.

I had said GOD just give me ONE pickerel today! I was joinsing for a pickerel fish fry.Patrick's like, don't say that! We decided to go back to my pickerel spot. This time we worked a different stretch we didn't work in the morning. After like a few casts? Fish on! And who makes an appearence?? A 16 inch pickerel!!! In the livewell she goes!Gonna eat it today!

After that Patrick hooks a huge crappie 12-13 inch range And it falls out of his hands, on the boat, on the gunnel(?) and out the back of the boat. Patrick was bummed out. Worked a bit more of the area and left.

We get to the marina. We are all tired and want to go home. The Marina people says the maintenance guy wont be by to open the gate till 10pm!! We're like WHAT!!! I go get my tools and we dismantle the gate, and left the area!

We concentrated mostly on scented worms today. The bass were picking up the Yum baits right of the floor, dead sticking them. Tried a licorice smelling worm with the same results.Caught some on spinners and on the jig and grub.

Nice hot day, very little wind, caught alot of small fish, but quite a few in the 1 1/2 to 2lb range.I also noticed my boat burns alot less gas without the dol-fin.

Anyways I hope you enjoyed my report and sorry for the lack of pictures. Other than the pickerel, none of the fish were photo worthy.

Edited by Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

Thanks guys. Just finished eating the pickerel and I enjoyed it tremendously!

Sounds good Alex!Hopefully we have some stable weather soon! I wanna try drop shooting for those smallies for a change!