Nitro 640 Good Boat ?

Lunker777

Hey everyone !

Well as the title explains. Im looking for a new boat. This will be my first boat EVER !

I was starting of getting tired as asking other people to take me out, so i decided to get my own boat.

Im looking at the Nitro 640. Its in my price range and is a sweet looking boat for the $$ .

Im at the stage now where i have to narrow down my options i want. so this is where i look to you folk on here.... what should I upgrade on the boat from the stock configuration ??

Should i go to the 4 stroke as oppose to the 2 stroke ?

What should i get for electronics ?

Battery charger ?

Any help would be GREAT !!!!! thanks everyone !

Don't know if the boats any good. I do notice most people here have aluminum fishing boats that are not "bass boats" or jon boats.

You will need a battery charger. A 2A trickle charge is no good for long hook ups, you will need a proper 1A, regulated trickle charger.

4 stroke is my choice.

forrest

I've heard a lot of not-so-great things about Nitro boats from past owners, but I personally can't give any first-hand advice. If you like bass fishing, a bass boat is certainly a good bet.

The sonar system on your flippin' deck near the bow mount can basically just be a sonar. The one at the helm you may want to incorporate a dual sonar/GPS system. GPS is a great safety tool and also fishing tool as you can mark potentially good spots and go back to them later on.

If you can afford the 4 stroke, I'd say go for it. It'll save ya on fuel so why not.

I haven't owned a boat since I was 15 years old but I can tell you fer sure that a Bassboat's definitely the way to have serious fun. I hadn't given them much thought until I went out on Garry2r's motorized pool table (Ranger I think the label said). That's a helluva nice way to chase little fishies, and if you are young enuf, or in my case immature enuf, to have a "need for speed", it sure delivers.

JF

Having ridden in several of the smaller Nitros, my experience has been very positive. Maybe not top of the line, but not as bad as their reputation. I think most of their major issues are with their bigger boats that get used/abused in the big lakes at high speeds. I think the more HP you have, the better built the boat needs to be. And every manufacturer puts out duds.

As far as motor, for a bass boat, there is no question, 2-stroke all the way. Weight affects a bass boat's performance a lot. It's like carrying an extra battery or two for no reason. The low end punch for holeshot is better and in general, the top end is way better with a 2-stroke. They've compared the DFI engines with the 4-strokes and the emissions and gas mileage is very similar. Why pay more for a heavier worse performing motor. If you look on tour, there is about ZERO representation from 4-strokes. It is just too much of a performance disadvantage at the moment. Then again, you might never want to fish a tournament or have it perform at the very edge of its capabilities. I guess you know best what your intentions are. For trolling and quiet smokeless performance on a pontoon boat or a little tinner, the 4-stroke is awesome, but if you're going to get a bass boat, I have a feeling you're going to want it to perform.

Also, be careful about 1 footitis. I started with a 16, HAD to go to a 17, then to a bigger 17, then HAD to go to a 19+. I have a decent 20 foot bass boat but I still check the boat trader for a gently used 22 footer. lol It's like a sickness.

If you're looking at buying new, I'd say instead to consider a used boat so that you can get more boat for your money and besides, as a first boat, you're going to ding it up eventually and that hurts a lot less when the boat already has "character"... EIn boating terms, "character" means scratches, gouges, chips and stress cracks... :)

Good luck.

Charles

I've heard a lot of not-so-great things about Nitro boats from past owners, but I personally can't give any first-hand advice. If you like bass fishing, a bass boat is certainly a good bet.

The sonar system on your flippin' deck near the bow mount can basically just be a sonar. The one at the helm you may want to incorporate a dual sonar/GPS system. GPS is a great safety tool and also fishing tool as you can mark potentially good spots and go back to them later on.

If you can afford the 4 stroke, I'd say go for it. It'll save ya on fuel so why not.

Not to pick on Rich (please take no offense) but I somewhat disagree with all three of his points. lol Not saying I'm right and he's wrong, just that I disagree.

You're bound to hear from the disgruntled and as one of the more popular (and entry level priced) boats, Nitro will have its detractors, but in my opinion, there is NO perfect boat. There is not even a BEST bass boat. There are good boats and okay boats. Nitro probably falls into the okay boat category. As long as the manufacturer is still in business, you probably have at least an okay product. Boats that are truly bad (like Sprint for example) quickly go out of business as they did. I am a fan of Triton and Ranger both, but I have more friends that have had major problems with Tritons than every other make combined. I have 2 close friends that have had their Ranger's sink. I myself sank a Champion and a Lund. Stuff happens.

As far as the GPS on the bow... Incredibly useful, I personally can't live without it anymore. I feel blind without it. With the new networking systems, you can also save a waypoint from the bow and have it save to your console unit. When fishing any non-visible cover/structure (a boulder on a hump or ledge for example, or maybe a weed edge that has a bend or irregularity to it) you can drop a marker buoy and get invaded or you can drop waypoints on your unit and have it to yourself. Even something like docks, sometimes you're so focused on the fishing that you don't remember which dock you had found fish on. But the waypoint will help point it out or at least dislodge some memories. Also if you turn a fish or lose one in a big expansive weedbed, it's nice to know the general vicinity and I have gone back and gotten that fish later in the day thanks to the waypoint.

As far as fuel economy, every test I've seen in Bass & Walleye Boats on the motors has them just about on par for fuel economy. In the bigger units, the fuel economy is even worse for example on the Verados versus the comparable HP Optis. At least the last tests I saw indicated that the difference was insignificant enough that it would take a long while to make up the purchase price difference.

Charles

I think the 640 is a little small, if you can afford it move up to 17 or 17 1/2. triton has a tr176??? that seems like a good deal or one of the nitro's. a motor with DFI will give you better gas mileage and might be better for resale value.

a finder with a gps will help when going to different lakes, I think the cheapest is around $500.

My first bassboat was a small 17 1/2 footer with little storage space, now I have a 18 footer than is wider with more storage.

One thing I'll recommend is 18 foot or under get a single console as the console takes up alot of space. I find I always have to move stuff around even when I am by myself, I have a dual console.

my opinion is anything on a bass boat over 100 hp should be DI (2 stroke) anything under can be either because the weight difference is not as much and the fuel economy will show a difference with better economy in the four stroke where DI will have better economey in 100 hp or above because they are a lot lighter.

Im goin to be doing most of my fishing in Rondeau bay, Mitchells bay and St Clair lake a bit... but not far out.

Also, there will probably be at the most 2 other people with me.

I want to try and keep the price under $20000 after all is said and done...

So do you think stepping up to the 750 ? Or do you think i should get the salesperson to look for a couple year old used boat...

is there anything i should look at when buying used ?

Also, be careful about 1 footitis. I started with a 16, HAD to go to a 17, then to a bigger 17, then HAD to go to a 19+. I have a decent 20 foot bass boat but I still check the boat trader for a gently used 22 footer. lol It's like a sickness.

If you're looking at buying new, I'd say instead to consider a used boat so that you can get more boat for your money and besides, as a first boat, you're going to ding it up eventually and that hurts a lot less when the boat already has "character"... EIn boating terms, "character" means scratches, gouges, chips and stress cracks... :)

Good luck.

Charles

good points as I am going through 2 foot itis really bad now and am selling my trition at the end of the season

all because I would rather reach a spot @75mph rather then 60......

Nitro's are decent boats unless you go into a 20 or more range as they just are not designed and built ro run 4 footers at 60 mph...

Generally most that bass fish seriously are running rangers or tritons and for good reason as each hull has its advantages and disadvantages, but again Im generalizing but these advantages far out way other hulls......leaving alone some of the harder to find hulls.

Im goin to be doing most of my fishing in Rondeau bay, Mitchells bay and St Clair lake a bit... but not far out.

Also, there will probably be at the most 2 other people with me.

I want to try and keep the price under $20000 after all is said and done...

So do you think stepping up to the 750 ? Or do you think i should get the salesperson to look for a couple year old used boat...

is there anything i should look at when buying used ?

Rondeau is sheltered, but St. Clair can get Ugly. The more boat you have the better out there.

$20,000 is quite a lot. You could find a LOT of really good used bass boats in the 19-20 foot range for that amount in the states. I'd say definitely look for a used boat in the states and get the most bang for your buck. I've bought 3 and it was not much hassle at all and the dollar is stronger than it ever was for my purchases even though it is a bit down from where it was.

Also remember an older boat can still have many many good years left in it. The Tritons and Rangers have lifetime warranties on the hulls for a reason. The hulls last and last.

There are a few threads on here that discuss what to look for in a used boat, they are a good starting point. In the end though, it's about what you want.

Good luck,

Charles

thanx for all your help !!!! ive been goin crazy thinking about this... and im still undecided... ive talked to quite a few people and read lots of stuff....

I called on that 750 and the sales lady is going to send me some more pictures ! although $17 900 for a 2002 seems a bit steep in my opinion ?

Edited by Lunker777

Here are a few used ones you might want to inquire about, remember price is always negotiable!!! Hope these links from bigfatbass work!

http://www.bigfatbass.com/cgi-bin/classifi...query=retrieval