Deadrise Question

krawler

I think i understand the concept of deadrise but im looking at 2 fishing boats at the show andthey have different deadrise numbers. one has a 8 degree deadrise and the other has a 12 degree. From what i understand the 12 degree will run slower but be more stable and the 8 degree will be faster and less stable ... right???? is this a big difference between the two??

anyone know of any boating forums i can ask these questions. this is a fishing forum and i have a ton of boating related questions and i dont think i should be asking these questions here.

thanks

kris

DEADRISE- Measurement of the angle between the bottom of the vessel and it's widest beam. A vessel with a 0` deadrise has a flat bottom, high numbers indicate deep V shaped hulls.

DEEP VEE A hard chine power boat having a 15 degree or more angle deadrise at the transom.

The angle made by the horizontal plane of the keel to the bottom the boat, usually expressed in inches for each foot of distance from the keel.

You sound like one a dem smooooth-talkin' city slickers!

The flatter hull will have more stabillity than the v hull with the same freeboard. If you ever trolled with a beam sea in a true deep V, over 20deg deadrise, it will damn near toss you out of the boat when it gets rocking.

THe difference in stabillity from 8 to 12 with the same width and freeboard won't be much but the 12 should be a little more comfortable ride in choppy water with a small loss of top speed and fuel milage.