Just a fluke...or was it?

Garry2Rs

Today I went fishing for LMBass. The lake we chose was east of Stoney.

There is a large weedy bay called Bass Bay.

We cast Flukes and ran spinnerbaits over and through the weeds.

For those that don't know, a Fluke is a plastic minnow that looks like this...

PinkFluke3.jpg

Notice that the 3/0 hook is passed through the head, then back through the body.

PinkFluke1.jpg

The hook point is pushed through the top of the bait and then skin-hooked to make it weedless.

PinkFluke4.jpg

You cast with or against the wind, not across.

The rod tip is held high and twitched to make the bait swim in a walk-the-dog fashion and crawl over lily pads...

The rod tip is lowered when crossing open water so that the bait can sink a little between twitches.

I like pink Flukes because they are very easy to see.

When you are doing it right, it looks like a struggling minnow and good things happen...

NatalieFluke006.jpg

It takes a little more skill than a crank bait, or a wacky worm, but even children and old guys can learn to fish it successfully...Hahaha.

NatalieFluke003.jpg

Nataliefluke009.jpg

We started out in full sun with hardly a cloud in the sky. As the day went on it got cloudier, then around 3:00 O'clock we spotted a big thunder storm heading straight for us. We turned tail and ran down the lake at 90kmh. As we finished loading the boat, the skies opened and rain drops the size of eggs fell. By the time we reached home...20 or 25 minutes later, the rain had passed.

Welcome to the Summer of 2008...grin.

I have used a rootbeer colour , white, clear with gold flakes and clear with silver flakes as well as pink Flukes.

It seems that I get more hits on pink. The only thing I can figure is that because I can see the pink one better, I fish it better. Like any jerk bait, it's very easy to start fishing it too fast, with the hi-vis pink, you can see whether it's "working" or not.

Garry2R's