Restoule tomorrow

bassgirl

So, in about 14 hours or so, we'll heading out for the long (11 hour) trip to Restoule, thanks to everyone's advice that even if the fishing isn't great, it's a good place to go.

We're also banking on the fact that Curt seemed to have some bad luck -- sick kid, rain, and pesky MIL, holding him back from learning enough about the lake(s) to do really well. I didn't see if he said if he had made it to any of the other lakes, either.

I've been able to find maps for navigation and a few on depth, and am armed with all the advice of everyone here about where to go and what other lakes to try. Hopefully, I'll have some great pics to share when we get back!

Good luck. There is a small river/creek that connects Restoule to Rainy Lake. It is very shallow with a strong current so be careful. Beautiful country up there. Hope the racoons are behaved. Last time I went they were pretty fearless and didn't mind shuffling through our wares, lol.

I used the the topographic maps from the website The Atlas of Canada for basic info/maps (http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/index.html). You can add or get rid of different items there -- very cutomizable! I downloaded them as pictures, then cut and pasted them into word so that I could crop, zoom, and overlap them into what I wanted, but it worked!

I also went to Anglers Atlas (www.anglersatlas.com) and was able to get a few depth maps, but it's hit or miss there -- I'll take what I can get, because every little bit helps!

After I got what I could, I took my printouts to Staples and had them lamintated, so they don't get wet or wrinkled/folded, etc. Good reference stuff, and a step ahead of waiting til we get there and getting info there, and just starting to learn about the lake. Once we set up camp, we're ready to go!!!

Thank you for the map info. From what i remember you like largemouth? Look up Hicks lake. Small lake you can walk to (semi marked trail) from Restoule. West half of restoule and off the north end. Its not incredibly convenient but hte best LM i have seen in that area (by far). Second is Hazel Lake....off of Stormy. Its a VERY short (30 feet?) portage in from stormy. Just to the left of the big cliff there's a beach. Trail just to the left of it.

Good luck. There is a small river/creek that connects Restoule to Rainy Lake. It is very shallow with a strong current so be careful. Beautiful country up there. Hope the racoons are behaved. Last time I went they were pretty fearless and didn't mind shuffling through our wares, lol.

Coons were rampant. Keep all food inside car at night.

Remember Hazel Lake has both Largemouth and good population of smaller musky. Looking at the map in the southwest there is an island with a 20' depth contour mark. This is Maws Island fish ll around it for good smallmouth and musky. Also fish the cabbage beds in between Green and Dry islands.Those are the two big islands in the west end of the lake. See the falls on the southwest part of the lake? Hike up the hill and cast from shore the smallmouth fishing on that lakeis pretty good. If I was up there Id take you down into Lennon Lake I keep a boat stored down there and the bass and pickeral fishing is outstanding. Talk to Bing at Martins I think he keeps a oat down there it be a nice day trip.

Edited by Musky or Specks