Rod Holder

holdfast

fore grip in the holder, reel out the back (inside of boat) i don't see why it would not work looking at those pics.

It'll slide right into the boat if there is slack or a wave. check my third pic at the start of the thread. That way is really Hoke.

Edited by holdfast

I'd be inclined to use as pictured in your first image BUT with the rod tip facing forward to the same degree instead of rearward in your picture. As the rod bends while trolling the tip will be straight out from the holder at boatside. I would also tilt it up slightly, maybe 15*. What this will accomplish is putting the load against the holder and far less prone to slipping out of the holder.

Now that I re-read this, maybe I'll go take a picture... be right back.

Okay, I'm back. Excuse the image quality, it's taken from my phone at 5:30AM...

IMG00091.jpg

I would want to avoid what Raf was suggesting because of where the holder will contact the rod. His idea is fine for muskie rods or trolling rods with 6"-8" foregrips but not for your average spinning rod as you can see here.

IMG00095.jpg

-Brian

avg spinng rods

holder2.jpg

just try it and profit.

when you are moving, the pressure from pulling lures is going to keep those rods snug, and if you were paying attn, and pointed your rod tips at the water..... they aren't sliding into the boat or going anywhere.

Edited by Raf

Thanks Roy and everyone for their input. I thought I had a good bonus with these Rod Holders when I bought the Boat and motor. These Pics are taken with the boat that they came in. These are my observations.

Here I have it set up like the Bait Caster as per Roys Photo. The rod is unbalanced to the point where it feels like its going in the Drink

P8120058.jpg

P8120059.jpg

Any other observations befor I figure that Pictures 3 and 4 is how the Spinning Rod is supposed to go.

Pictures one and two are exactly how it should be placed in the holder except, rotate the rodholder clockwise so that the tip of the rod faces slightly forward, not backward. As soon as any pressure is placed on the rod tip, the cork handle pushes down and rearward on the outer shiny metal bar causing the rear one to push don on the cork handle. You go and try to pull the rod out while there's a bit of rearward tension on the tip.

Thanks Fisherman. Makes total sense, just not used to the Rod slightly forward.

Thanks, I think this has been solved

You'll quickly appreciate having the rod tip forward, you don't have to look over your should to watch it which means you'll probably have your eye on the rod tip more often to detect those light bites.

-Brian

I had the same rod holder and installed it in my kayak. After two trips I took it off. It is now sitting in a drawer with all the other crap that I thought I needed. In all fairness it did do it's job, but I found it to be in the way more than a help. Maybe I'll re-install it behind the cockpit for holding an extra rod & reel combo.

897706berg4.jpg