Limerick lake report!

As I mention previously my son and I had planned a 3 day trip to Limerick Lake in search of some lunker largies, we arrived mid day and met a couple of guys pulling out their bass boat and they said the fishing was tough with only a handful of dinks caught, the owner of Limerick Lodge confirmed the fishing has been tough because of the unsettled weather not really what I wanted to hear.

Limerick is a rather small lake only 4 or so miles long but it is loaded with structure plenty of bays with stumps,pads and fall downs and several rocky humps.

The first afternoon we fished near the lodge and the fishing was tough with only a few small largies boated.The second day we decided to concentrate our efforts on the 2 small islands on the north end of the lake and again we could only manage a few small bass until my son managed this nice largie he caught it on a mister twister grub and spinner of all things.

IMG_0598.jpg

The third day was more of the same lots of small largies and smallies my son did manage a scrapy 3.5 pound smallie, it was caught on a smoke tube.

On Friday we only had a couple of hours to fish so we decided to try a spot near a small island that was loaded with rocky structure and again the same thing loads of dink bass, with only an hour or so left to fish I decide to move out a little deeper and it was a good call as I was rewared with this nice largie it was caught in 18 feet of water on a Rapala Mercer`s magic theres a plug for Dave`s signiture bait.

IMG_0604.jpg

I have a feeling we should have concentrated a little more on the deeper structure and weed lines due to the unsettled weather oh well live and learn.

All in all it was a good few days on the water as I don`t get a lot of time to fish with my boys due to our conflicting schedules we would have liked to have caught a few more decent fish but that`s fishing, we will be returning to Limerick.

Sorry we missed you there last week. A couple of nice bucketmouths you got there.

We were there Wednesday & Thursday and, much like you, found it a really tough bite. We got a few decent smallies and that was about it. Seemed we would get a nice fish as soon as we got to a spot and then couldn't buy another bite.

We tried a lot of shallow structure on the first day and had very few bites. Thursday, we finally figured out to try the deeper structure (18' - 25') and my buddy caught a real nice one drop-shotting a gulp leech. Of course, a few minutes later the sky went black, the thunder was rumbling and we headed back in and ended up leaving earlier than planned.

Hi Johnny,

The lake is deep. My map shows a maximum depth of about 90'. There are lake trout.

It kinda surprised me that Lookinforwalleye was there for largies, we've always thought of it as more of a smallie lake, though I did get a 4.5 lb largie there last year.

Sorry we missed you there last week. A couple of nice bucketmouths you got there.

We were there Wednesday & Thursday and, much like you, found it a really tough bite. We got a few decent smallies and that was about it. Seemed we would get a nice fish as soon as we got to a spot and then couldn't buy another bite.

We tried a lot of shallow structure on the first day and had very few bites. Thursday, we finally figured out to try the deeper structure (18' - 25') and my buddy caught a real nice one drop-shotting a gulp leech. Of course, a few minutes later the sky went black, the thunder was rumbling and we headed back in and ended up leaving earlier than planned.

I don`t blame you for bugging out early the weather was very unpredictable at one point I was in a shallow bay and the sky was blue with some nice white clouds and then all of a sudden the thunder started rolling in, I am looking at the sky and I see no thunder clouds at all I say to my son thats weird. We decide to change spots and come out of the bay and around the point and the sky was black so time to high tail it.

It was strange because we were in the bay surronded by the high trees and could not see the storm moving in.

I wasted to much time on the shallow structure I was marking a lot of fish in the 30-40 foot range and I was thinking they were suspended Lakers but the unsettled weather may have pushed the bass that deep perhaps one of the local Bass experts can offer an opinion on that.

Did you have a chance to fish the connection between St.Ola and Limerick? we managed a couple of decent bass there but man what a nice bit a bass habitat in that area. The next time I go up I would like to spend several days and really explore the lake.

:Gonefishing: Nice hawgs .

My fishing buddy hooked me onto that lake a couple of years ago,and have been going at least a couple of times a year.The river that goes up to OLA is quite good in certain location ,but I find more big boys up in the backbays between Limerick and Mephisto.Pulled some really nice ones out this year .

Pic. of my fishing buddies son on this huge bucketmouth on the backlakes.

He was so happy he caught it.had to help him hold it up for the shot.

If you are going back up there PM me and will give you some locations. :clapping:

BIG_HAUG.JPG

:Gonefishing: Nice hawgs .

My fishing buddy hooked me onto that lake a couple of years ago,and have been going at least a couple of times a year.The river that goes up to OLA is quite good in certain location ,but I find more big boys up in the backbays between Limerick and Mephisto.Pulled some really nice ones out this year .

Pic. of my fishing buddies son on this huge bucketmouth on the backlakes.

He was so happy he caught it.had to help him hold it up for the shot.

If you are going back up there PM me and will give you some locations. :clapping:

Thanks for the offer Mike, I was talking to a local cottager and he suggested the North part between Limerick and Mephisto we just ran out of time to fish that spot.