Saugeen River News

Spiel

....So I'm in the midst renovating my oldest daughters bedroom, big job actually. I'm installing new laminate floor which required me to remove the baseboards. What does this have to do with the Saugeen you ask youself? Well behind the baseboard filling the gap at the bottom of the dry wall was rolled up newspaper and the first piece I pulled out and unrolled had an article about the Saugeen River, on the front page no less. Uh, what are the odds? It's in fanatastic condition so I've reprinted the article here for those interested.

The Hamilton Spectator - Wednesday April 4 1973 - Home Editon 10 Cents

Pochers killing trout for valuable roe

Southhampton (CP) - An Ontario conservation officer says poachers are dip-netting, seining, speraing and clubbing rainbow trout along the Bruce Penninsula in a search for roe.

Gerry Harris, a conservation officer on the Saugeen River near Southhampton, said yesterday the roe has a high black-market value as bait.

All fish-taking is illegal since the season does not open until April 28.

"THE RAINBOW run is on full blast-the feeder creeks are loaded with fish," Mr. Harris said. "All hell's lettin' loose."

Frank Legace, a conservation officer at Owen Sound, said about 45 charges have been laid so far.

Five poachers were caught yesterday morning and fined $100 for fishing by means other than angling.

Under the law, the maximum fine is $1,000, and "an officer can seize any equipmetn used by the poacher," he said.

Charles Weir, a natural resources official in Toronto said there is illegal about an angler using roe as bait, as long as it is from a fish he caught. "But he must not sell it or barter it to someone else."

ANGLERS rate roe as the surest bait for trout and a glass jar full brings a minimum $5.

"The price has gone as high as $40 a pint," Mr. Legace said.

"If they break it down into pellets (sacks) and insert a hook, they would make even more."

He said roe from a prime female trout could bring as much as a $160 in bulk and $225 to $250 when put into sacks complete with hooks.

Sounds like wasting a trout or salmon for the roe isn't anything new eh? :angry:

Shouldn't you be out on lake O sifting thru little fish to find a big one? ;)

....Sad but so true, this crap still happens today and we still don't have enough officers in the field to deal with it, in fact I'll bet we have less. :wallbash:

I hope to hit the lake after the weekend boys are done with it Glen. It's nice when you don't have to fish weekends. ;)

....Sad but so true, this crap still happens today and we still don't have enough officers in the field to deal with it, in fact I'll bet we have less. :wallbash:

Spiel...you are right about saying that we don't have enough officers. Quebec is divided onto 25 zones and where I live....it's zone 10 which is a fairly big zone and only 5-6 officers patrol it. :w00t:

Get the article framed and hang it on the wall where you found it.....that is if your daughter don't mind ;)

Leechman

I dont know how many times I`ve seen people catching fish, ripping it apart and then taking the roe from it and chucking the fish in the garage.

Its a normal ocurance when fishing for salmon and trout in the tribs.