hear about the dead fisherman?

jace

I think it happened just a recently. The family saw him on the ground making noises and didn't know what happened. The only thing unusual was a piece of fishing line in his eye. The doctors and family were baffled until they xrayed his head and saw the 3 oz sinker attached to the line. It entered at corner of eye socket so the eye wasn't obviously damaged, went through brain, and hit the back of his skull.

Yes, I did hear about this....it was a freak accident from what I understand.

Here's a link to the news story.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07312008/news/...rror_122360.htm

FISHING-LURE HORROR

By TODD VENEZIA and GINGER ADAMS OTIS

A Long Island fisherman has died after a freak accident in which a weighted lure hit him in the eye and lodged in his brain.

Jaime Chicas, 21, was angling on some rocks at Jones Beach at about 8 p.m. Friday when his line snapped back and a 3-ounce sinker recoiled violently, penetrating his eye socket and hitting his brain.

Chicas' brother-in-law Jose Gonzalez, was about 30 feet away when he heard Chicas groaning.

"We were just sitting there. It was pretty tranquil, kind of getting dark," Gonzalez told The Post. "We didn't see anything, but then my cousin and I both heard him groaning. We ran to him and he was down, lying on the rocks."

"There was so much blood. We could see something had gone in his eye."

Chicas was pronounced brain dead Tuesday at Nassau University Medical Center.

He leaves behind a baby and a 19-year-old wife in El Salvador. He had come to the United States illegally about a year ago and was looking for work in Long Island.

:Gonefishing:I did a very similar thing to a bystander down at Port Hope a few years ago. A 'tourist' was crowding me, trying to get a better look at a big salmon I had on . . . I had cautioned him several times before of what could happen if the hook pulled out. I was 'horsing' this one a bit, my medium action rod bent to 90 degrees and the hook let go. I had about a 2 ounce 'egg' sinker on . . . . it came back and got him right in the middle of the forehead hard enough to sit him on his butt. Very luckily the hook didn't get him . . . . when he left, both his eyes were starting to discolour, and he had a knurl the size of a golf ball. His only worry . . . . he'd told his wife he was just goin' down to the river to watch . . .. how was he gonna explain 2 black eyes? I've often seen floats come whistling back, but ya can't generally duck them! :stretcher: