Waterproof/watertight Tackle Boxes/Bags?

Guest Fishing For Life

Guest Fishing For Life

It was my first time wading into water deep to my chest (just 1 inch below my chest wader) yesteday

and my chestpack was soaked along with stuff inside

I am looking for waterproof (should I say "watertight") tackle boxes or if better, plastic bags

thanks

Plano makes water tight tackle boxes. I have the spinnerbait box. I don't use it anymore because of my new box(it does not fit) but they sure are water tight. Held it under water for several minutes and not a drop!

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...__SearchResults

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Guest Fishing For Life

Ziplock?

that is what I used but water got in eventually ..

any specific model numbe or brand you would recommend?

Most good outdoor stores will have a selection of watertite boxes of different sizes from a few inches to big enough for a pro vid-cam. I use a small pocket-sized one to carry my fishing lic., my carkey (those microchips don't like water), and a lighter just in case I find a cigar in my bag. If you have a scuba shop nearby they'll probably have them as well. But they're expensive because they're built to take deep water pressure and have o-ring seals. I've tried the cheap ones and they start to leak at very shallow depths. I realize you won't be diving deep but still if whatever you have to keep dry is expensive then it might be worth it. You can also but different sizes of watertite bags made of rubberized cordura with a roll top. We used those for our dry land stuff (wallets, cameras, clothing, towels, etc) when we were out on dive boats. They're available at good outdoor stores. There are cheaper plastic ones available that may serve you just as well as the expensive fabric units.

JF

Guest Fishing For Life

Palno Waterproof is a joke ...

just bought it from Vaughan BPS 1 hour ago ...

dip it into my bathtub .... water got in in less than 2 seconds ..

sigh

Simms has their "Dry Creek" water-resistant chest pack. They probably could have made it waterproof like some of their other bags, but a roll-top closure would make it completely unusable out on the water.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/dry_creek...st_pack_08.html

BPS used to sell them. I am not sure if that is still the case. Wilson's Fly Shop (downtown T.O.) or Gagnon Sports (Oshawa) might have stock.

As with all things Simms, it'll probably be expensive.

Another option would be not to wade so deep. Just cast farther. :whistling:

Cheers

Palno Waterproof is a joke ...

just bought it from Vaughan BPS 1 hour ago ...

dip it into my bathtub .... water got in in less than 2 seconds ..

sigh

I second that, its the reason I went Ziplock.. Was kayak fishing and figured put my Cell and camera in the Plano Waterproof just incase of water.

Well my dog in my kayak tips me and well you get the idea..

I love the plano stowaway but I didn't know they were supposed to be water proof becuase they dont seem to be. They are easy to use but I make sure I keep my plastics in there original bags because I dont want them to get wet. Im in need of some new boxxes, if you find some decent water proof boxxes let us know I have been looking around for the same thing but haven't quite found what I want. Goodluck with your search.

I don't know the brand but all serious outdoors and hiking shops will have these watertight plastic boxs. They come in all sizes, most have a clear lid and a colored bottom. very tough. unbreakable might even be part of their sales pitch. I believe they have lifetime warranties.

When I fly fish, I carry stuff in my vest in Zip Lock bags - including my camera and cell phone - double bagged just in case.

When I was younger, I would wade above my waist. These days, I will not go deeper than hip deep. I do not want to take any chances. Today, when I wade a stream that I am familiar with, I am very uneasy and somewhat scared even when the depth is only 7 inches but brown because of a rain. This is why I always carry with me a wading staff. It is better than a third leg.

There are two companies that produce water proof cases - Otter and Pelican. I have no idea if any of the cases may be what you are looking for. One company has a case for even cigars. The cases are good for travelling, camping, canoeing and whatever else.

There is an excellent company in Canada, Mountain Equipment Co-Op (MEC) that sells Pelican cases. There is a Toronto store and a store will soon open in Burlington. There are stores across canada. MEC also sells bags.

Here are the web addresses --

http://www.pelicanproducts.ca/oem/

http://www.otterbox.com/

http://www.mec.ca/Main/home.jsp?bmUID=1217558457430

Click "water sports" and then "bags, packs and cases".

carp-starter

Guest Fishing For Life

How ironic ...

I just read the production instruction from Pelican

submerging & diving into water is not recommended ...

It is designed to be water-RESISTANT ..

How ironic ...

I just read the production instruction from Pelican

submerging & diving into water is not recommended ...

It is designed to be water-RESISTANT ..

Pelicans are quite popular with divers for their stuff that must be kept dry (batteries, cameras, O2 analyzers, etc). I just checked the little box I use for my outdoor card and my car keys. It's an Otter. I've taken it down to over 100fsw with no problems. I've certainly had no problems with it while fishing.

JF