What are "spots"

Some of the American guys might be able to help on this one. I was watching the Scott Martin Challenge t.v. show this morning and he was catching what he called as "spots" They look exactly the same as a largemouth. Is this a nick name or a slightly different species. :dunno:

I fished Lake Neely Henry this morning, was backing the boat down the launch ramp at 5:30 a.m.

I had th first fish in the boat at 6:02 a.m.

DSC01335.jpg

He was a nice little scrappy "Spot"

Then a 'Gill

DSC01336.jpg

Then another "Spot"

DSC01337.jpg

Then another 'Gill

DSC01338.jpg

Then this little Largie hit and thought he was a surface to air missle, he jumped a good 2 1/2 feet into the air

during the fight.

DSC01339.jpg

Then 2 more "Spots"

DSC01340.jpg

DSC01341.jpg

... and then the Bass bite was over at 7:12 a.m., all fish were caught on ultra light spinning tackle with 4 lb. test using a 1/16 oz inline spinner, they wouldn't touch the 1/8 oz spinner in the same color. I got a few more 'Gills, and you'll see them later. All fish were hooked in the very corner of the mouth, none of them had actually tried to swallow the lure.

All Bass were promptly released after the Kodak moment.

I moved away from the dam and started to look for Sabiki rig and minnow fish. Tried my creek channel/main river channel point junction... nobody home... nada!

Started looking on underwater humps in open water where I was finding schools of Shad on the sonar... note the surface temp at 8:55 a.m.

DSC01342.jpg

Another temp reading at 9:12

DSC01344.jpg

... and another at 11:23

DSC01345.jpg

I found some Blue cats, Channel cats, and a couple surprise Crappie in 21 FOW that were willing to have a go at a minnow.

DSC01347.jpg

DSC01348.jpg

Mr. Catfish wanted to see what todays date was in this pic. ;)

DSC01349.jpg

The perfect eater size Blue cat!

DSC01350.jpg

Another eater size Blue.

DSC01351.jpg

Borderline eater size Channel cat.

DSC01352.jpg

The 'Gills and a couple smaller Channel cats

DSC01353.jpg

All of these fish were also released to grow and fight another day!

One last surface temp reading before leaving.

DSC01356.jpg

All in all it was a good morning, but the closer it got to noon the slower the fish got. I will admit that the morning bite than the afternoon bite right now, and that's I'll be fishin for the next little while. ;)

It really was a beautiful morning with mild temps, light winds, and the lake all to myself!!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

You should be reading Greencoachdog's posts more often.

Tom

I hear they fight a little harder than largemouth too.

Pound for pound, they are a stronger fish than a Largemouth because Spots prefer areas with current, whereas a Largie would rather have slack water if the forage is there. I do catch Spots and Largies in the same place, but the ratio is probably 5 Spots to 1 Largie.

Spotted Bass and Largemouth fight differently too, the Largies will come up close to the surface and jump to try to shake the hook free... while a Spot will bulldog for the bottom and try to break you off on rocks and wood, if they can't get to the bottom they will head for deep open water where they feel the safest.

I did have a Spot break water on me about a month ago and thought "what the hell?"... asked him what he thought he was doing when I got him in the boat and he told me it was a trick a Largemouth taught him. :w00t:

I did have a Spot break water on me about a month ago and thought "what the hell?"... asked him what he thought he was doing when I got him in the boat and he told me it was a trick a Largemouth taught him.

NOW THAT WAS FUNNY.

Even wasted a good spew of good ol Ale over that.

Shame on you.

Spotted bass, aka Kentucky bass, native to southern USA.

There are actually 2 species of Spotted Bass:

Micropterus punctulatus punc... Northern (Kentucky) Spotted Bass

Micropterus punctulatus henshalli... Alabama Spotted Bass... these fish are native to the Coosa River that I fish, but have been stocked elsewhere.