Greetings & a question about TO fishing

Warthaug

Just introducing myself to the board - name's Bryan and I'm relatively new to Ontario/Toronto (moved from Calgary last October).

Anyhoo, between a new job, getting settled, and planning/paying for a wedding I've only managed to get out fishing once this year - for perch, in Lake Erie. But now that all things are calming down its time for the missus and I to hit the water. Which brings up my question:

I've been reading about fishing in Toronto, and I see that most people go to the islands (for pike none-the-less). And while that'll definitely hit the list, I was wondering if there was anywhere on the waterfront (as in the mainland), in the downtown-ish area, where you can also fish. I live on the east side of downtown TO, and the idea of grabbing the mutt and the fiancee, wandering down the street, and fishing, is rather nice.

SWMBO was reading over my shoulder as I typed this, and has two questions for the board as well (not really fishing related):

1) If going to the islands, which one is the best place to start?

2) Can you take dogs on the ferry, and if so, if there a fee?

Thanx in advance

Bryan

the salmon should be starting in about a month or so depending on the temperatures do some research on that. salmon are fun but VERY fun when casting spoons and spinners off of piers and river mouths.! (make sure to have atleast 150yards of line because if they want to they like to run for newyork)

Bryan,..the missis and the Mutt.....Welcome!

If you use the 'SEARCH" button on this website asking what you just did you'll be pleasently surprised at the find.....inclusive of all you asked.

Another great method would be to search...'FishHeadRic"...

He gave a great account of fishing the city and its close limits.

This is the best place for fishong info youll ever find....and more!

Dogs are allowed on the ferry, no extra charge, but must be leashed. Best Island to start is the the one with the first ferry arrival! There are three ferries you can take: Centre Island is the main atraction, nearest the amusement park; Ward's Island leaves you at the east end near a marina with a nice scenic walk down a paved path towards Centre and Hanlan's; Hanlan's Point leaves you at the west side, near the nude beach and the Airport.

Fishing the Toronto shore at this time of year is pretty much a bust, so focus on Tommy Thompson Park (a.k.a. The Leslie St. Spit) and the Toronto Islands if you want to catch fish.

Edited by BabyHerc

Have good technique, lures, equiptment and knowledge of the fish your attempting to catch. If you go Toronto shoreline fishing without, you'll get skunked. Best tip I can give is go somewhere that there is weed growth. Put on a pair of polarized sunglasses, and try to be as accurate as possible when casting weedlines, and weed pockets, which hold ambushing fish like Pike and Bass. Good luck.

Edited by tdotfisherman

SWMBO was reading over my shoulder as I typed this, and has two questions for the board as well (not really fishing related):

1) If going to the islands, which one is the best place to start?

2) Can you take dogs on the ferry, and if so, if there a fee

Welcome to Ontario, the best answer to your question is in this quoted post below.

Dogs are allowed on the ferry, no extra charge, but must be leashed. Best Island to start is the the one with the first ferry arrival! There are three ferries you can take: Centre Island is the main atraction, nearest the amusement park; Ward's Island leaves you at the east end near a marina with a nice scenic walk down a paved path towards Centre and Hanlan's; Hanlan's Point leaves you at the west side, near the nude beach and the Airport.

Fishing the Toronto shore at this time of year is pretty much a bust, so focus on Tommy Thompson Park (a.k.a. The Leslie St. Spit) and the Toronto Islands if you want to catch fish.

I would recommend just sticking with Centre Island, bring weedless bass tackle it might work if you fish there.

Also if your in east end check out Ashbridges Bay. There is parking, a nice beach (Kew beach), an area to walk your dog and decent pike, bass fishing if you put in the time and effort.

The bay near where it empties into Lake Ontario has been decent at times.

Hope this hleps,

ehg

Welcome aboard.

I personally haven't figured out how to fish the islands yet, have only caught 1 decent pike after numerous outings ... but it does have good pike/bass/carp fishing once you do find a way. I see that you have been reading up on fishing in toronto so you have probably seen this ...

Urban fishing opportunities in Toronto

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/STEL02_163569.pdf

but i'll post it anyway for people who might read this thread.

let us know how you make out!

Welcome to the province and the site dude! I also grab the first available ferry and go from there. There are spots all over the island. You either need to put the time in and explore or bribe somebody with frothy ales to show you the honey holes! I wouldn't say the shoreline is a bust but you're mostly fishing from walls that are up a little bit and landing massive pike without a huge net is an art unto itself! Maybe one day I'll see you out on the Islands!

Glad to have you on board Warthaug!

Ferry's $6.75 return, dogs are free.. So no worries there mate.

However, we tend to do better at the islands in areas that are less treaded by land lovers... so waders and/or a float tube are a good idea.

We also hit it up on week days, when there's less traffic.. Center Island is like the meca for picnikers.

Me and the Billy will be there after work Friday night. As mentioned, I can be coaxed with man sodas and smokables..

Hope to see out there sometime.

cheers

H to the D