fish species

cranks bait

A buddy caught the oddest fish the other day, and I am trying to find out what it is. I have looked all over the interweb and found nothing.

We want to say it is a bullhead, but not sure. Should have gotten pictures. It was 7 pounds long and thick around. The head looked like a catfish, while the back and tail looked like an eel. Had one wavy dorsel fin and a flat tail. Ugly as sin and smelly.

Anyone have a suggestion where I might find some species to look at?

Dang. I looked everywhere and could not find it. I'm pretty sure it was a bowfin. Thanks Rich.

It was caught in very shallow water on a plastic frog. Caught out of the St Lawrence river around Rockport. I think he may have taken it home to eat (his daughter wanted to eat it really bad) not too sure if he did or not. Any harm if they did eat it?

Sounds like a Bowfin.

:EDIT: Whoops looks like someone already mentioned it.. Also, they aren't very friendly fish (watch your fingers and toes, lol)

Yes it did have teeth. No one wanted to go near it. His daughter was the brave one. Gotta love 12 year old girls who aren't afraid of fish.

Dang. I looked everywhere and could not find it. I'm pretty sure it was a bowfin. Thanks Rich.

It was caught in very shallow water on a plastic frog. Caught out of the St Lawrence river around Rockport. I think he may have taken it home to eat (his daughter wanted to eat it really bad) not too sure if he did or not. Any harm if they did eat it?

I think they're ok to eat. There was an article in OOD a while back (maybe last fall) about eating one of those species, and it said they were pretty good. Unfortunately I no longer have the issue and can't remember if it was about the bowfin, or burbot.

• 3 weeks later...

Bowfin