Lake Erie fishing

audio_mad

Hey Guys,

I have just got a boat and want to try lake Erie. Bass and walleye are the targets (primarily bass though). I don't know where to start... I was told Long point is a good point to start. I'd really appreciate if you could give some ideas where to go (if there are launch ramps there) and what to use as a bait. As I said I've never fished there before and don't even know what to start with.

Thanks a million,

Audio_mad

Smallmouth fishing is easy on Lake Erie. Find structure and the bass will be there. I would start off in 15-18 foot and work deeper until you find some. Jigging with BLACK jigs will catch smallies or anything that kind of looks like a gobie will also work.

Walleye fishing is another story on Lake Erie. The big schools (sometimes 2-3 miles long) are suspended somewhere out there. Talk to others who have been out of the port you are launching at or local bait store owner should have info on where to start. However, you will need specialized equipment like downriggers, planner boards, Dipsy Divers, Jet Divers, wire line or lead core to fish the water column properly.

Good Luck,

Bob

....I don't have a lot of Erie experience but I do know you can get some great bass fishing in between Port Maitland (Grand River, launches available) and Hoovers Marine (launch available) located by Nanticoke. Lots of shoals that hold plenty of bass in this area. Tubes and crankbaits never fail.

Knowing the area where you are launching from would help out alot.

As others have mentioned, the bass are everywhere holding on structure. Dragging tubes, jigging spoons, crankbaits, etc.

The walleye are deeper, but starting off of Port Maitland, Port Colborne would be a good start. Everyone has their favorite lures, but I never seem to go wrong with harnesses. Just finding the hot color can be some work.

Don't know where you are located, but talking to other anglers at the launch you use will no doubt point you in the right direction.

Cheeers

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a new boat as well and fish out of erie. I launch out of sugarloaf in port colborne. I like to head east towards lorraine point and troll a shad rap that looks like a perch in about 20' of water. been catching 2+ lbs this way.

I just bought a new boat as well and fish out of erie. I launch out of sugarloaf in port colborne. I like to head east towards lorraine point and troll a shad rap that looks like a perch in about 20' of water. been catching 2+ lbs this way.

Try going a little deeper and using tubes and spoons straight out of port to the 3 mile will pay off greatly.