New rod/reel

blarg

So, i'm thinking of picking up a baitcaster rod and reel, i've done lots of fishing but have never seriously used a baitcaster so I thought it was about time. So far i've been thinking of getting a shimano curado, the 201 is proabaly about right, from what i can see the 301 is a bit heavier and has more line capacity, this is just for general bass/pike fishing, im not targeting giant muskie unfortunately. Also the rod..id like a one piece rod, at least med, probably mh 6.5 or 7ft, i've looked at some of the st croix models, some of the rod types like trigger vs crankbait-they look the same to me-are a bit confusing.

Does anyone have any advice they can offer?

I think the Curado is a solid reel. I just picked-up a 300 and it is meant as a saltwater/ musky reel as you say. I would love to have a 200 as a low profile baitcast reel for bass/walleye. The rod really depends on how you're going to fish (casting/trolling), what type of baits you are going to throw (light, heavy) and also comes down to personal feel.

http://www.tackletour.com/

Is a interesting site and may help you a bit more.

That's not much help but I'm sure others will chip in soon.

I'm a Daiwa guy. Shimano's are great reels, I had the 201 and it never failed me and it's backed by a great warrenty. Personnaly I use the (just some other options) Daiwa viento, sol, tierra(great all around reel $109 at BPS), and my new fav the TD Advantage.

For the rod a 7' will do you well, med or med heavy.

My question is, will you be using spinnerbaits, senkos, jigs etc...? What you use will make or break you rod choice.

This is just a few I use, just for an example. If anyone disagrees please correct me.

7' medheavy for spinnerbaits, buzz baits

7'6" Heavy for pig & jigs and also frogs

7' medheavy, fast for senkos, tubes etc..

6'6" med lite for hard baits

Hope this helps,

Daniel

I've got 3 baitcasters right now, a Shimano Calcutta 251, a Quantum Cabo PTS31, and a Daiwa Megaforce MF100TSHL. Of the three reels, the Megaforce is the cheapest by far at $60USD at BPS. I've been using this reel for 2 months now and I cant say enough good things about it. Havent used it for pike, but I have caught plenty off smallmouth bass and its been great.

As a first baitcast I definetly reccomend this reel, it is the easiest baitcaster I have ever used and is an incredible deal for $60. I had it paired with a Berkly Lightining stick and together they cost just over $100. I honestly believe that you couldnt get a better baitcast combo for the price.

daiwa-megaforce-reel.jpg

If the quality of this Daiwa is any indication of teh quality that Diawa makes, then I'll 100% be buying a Daiwa again.

Edited by mepps

6'6" mh rod..i like Fenwick HMG. Reel, Daiwa TD advantage. Line #10 Super Silver Thread.

Great for bassin & average pike.

Don't use braid lines until you get the hang of Monofilament 1st.

Daiwa Zillion if you win a lottery.. Luna for heavier fishing.

Edited by danbo

I gotta disagree about using mono over braid for learning too. I find it easier to undo a birdsnest with braided line. Mono wil stretch/break easily if you try and undo those nest witha hard pull, braid usually can be untangled by applying steady pressure.

Use cheap mono to get the hang of your new baitcaster practicing in the backyard. Once you get the hang of it and plan on going fishing, then spool up with some braid.

Opinions are split 50/50 on that. When I got my first baitcaster I followed the recommendation to go with braid. It made sense at the time. In fact I had no tangles so bad I lost any line and in retrospect I wish I had gone with the braid from the gitgo. I thought the stretchy feel of the mono was even more pronounced with the baitcaster than the spinning reels for some reason. I actually think now that it would have been easier learning to cast with braid now that I've switched to it. BTW, I have Superbraid on my reel now. It feels great.

JF

thanks for the responses guys, yea i've found that the braids are easier to untangle, i guess for the same reason that they are harder to tie but if you can't get it undone your out more money as well.

And since Garry2Rs showed me how to use a Palomar knot I've had no problems with tying braid, and it's a very easy knot to tie.

JF

Wait for the curado e to come out. looks shweet.

I'm waiting for the new ABU Revo Toro. It's a massive casting reel with a large wide spool in a low profile body. It should make casting big baits a little easier since the spool is down low. Not too expensive either.

If you do birdsnest it bad the when you are learning, cutting off cheap mono is no big deal @ a few bucks a spool, PowerPro and the like are $20/spool, hence, practice a bit with the cheap stuff and then put the good stuff on once you get the hang of it but for God's sake, make sure you practice a bit otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy once you hit the water.

but wont cheap mono just cause more headaches with more birdsnests?

cheap mono won't cause overruns, bad thumbing skills causes them. The key is to learn how to adjust the casting controls to suit your thumb's skill level. If you're just starting, go high on the spool tensioner and casting control, when you're proficient, you can actually dial both of them right to zero and you'll be tangle free for the most part. Everybody gets the tangles from an unexpected gust of wind and other things that change the lure speed.

Sheesh, you're in Nova Scotia and you can get decent baitcasters at your local Crappy Tire.

Our area prides itself on supposedly being "bass capital of Ontario" and our CT rarely carries spinnerbaits, let alone a baitcaster!

Lebaron and basspro sells it for $55, $24 cheaper. CTC is a rip.

probably volume purchasing power. lebaron and bps only sell sporting goods and likely moves a ton more of any single product than ctc could. There's a discount on that reel at all-american . I don't know how much it is because i dind't click through to checkout