Really dissapointed with the waterfront on 16 mile creek

Just got back from trying to fish at the mouth of 16 mile creek on the recommendation of a few people on this board. I'm sure I must have gone to the wrong spot because where I was there was nothing but boats and canoe clubs that cut off access to the water, and signs saying "No fishing May 1-November 1". That really sucks! I hate to say it, but it's typical of a place like Oakville. Why the hell would they choose to make the entire waterfront area off limits to the general public!

Really annoying. I thought there was an inaliable right to access the water. Guess not. All the snooty yacht people dont want the riff raff near there precious boats.

I ended up trying under the second bridge anyway, as there was noone around, and did not get anything. But I walked all up and down the shore on the East side and there is no access that I could find.

On the way home I tried to access the river from 2 other spots that I sighted on Google Earth, but they were way down in the valley, and would be very difficult if not impossible to access from the road. Guess I will keep looking, but that scene down there really kinda ticked me off.

Both 16 mile creek and Bronte put no fishing by laws in place around all boat docking areas a few years ago as there was a ton of damage, trespassing and lures left snagged into mooring lines. On 16 mile the piers on both side of the river are fishable and upstream you can park at the GO station and walk down to the cross road bridge. The river downstream from the bridge can be waded and has OK bass fishing sometimes.

There's often a couple people parked under the Kerr street bridge too....park on the North side of the bridge, on the bend where the shoulder widens, . It's a divided road there, so you have to be coming FROM Speers, heading North on Kerr toward the plazas on Dorval. You'll also see cars parked under the bridge, but those are construction workers, so I don't know if they would want you parked there.

As for the fishing...can't say...even though I SHOULD stop in there before work, I never have...but like I say, I do see anglers' cars parked there frequently.

truely right down there is a pain in the butt to fish anyway. with the canoe clubs and rowers, sailers your better to head up stream 5 -10 minutes. I fished the area alot when i was a kid, there are lots of decent spots if you find them.

I personally much rather fish the credit. Better fishing!

Cheers!

THanks everyone for your replies. Now that I have had a few days to cool off, I must admit that as a property owner myself, I can understand that they may not want people around their boats, and one look around at all the litter on the shoreline and IN the water tells me that not all fisherman and I are like minded, but thats a rant for another day.

My beef is really with the city and/or parks dept for not reservice some space on the waterfront for general public use. From what i saw, the ENTIRE waterfront is either private property or no fishing allowed. That just seems unfair to me.