Fishing and Thunderstorms

tinbanger

After a quick weather check ( afternoon thunderstorms) Pikeie and I decided to take advantage of an empty Lake Simcoe and head out for some smallies.

Fished hard for 3- 4 hours with little too show expect for one decent size SM along with several small ones and lots of perch . As we were working some nice bolders and sand flats not far from Big Bay Point we heard what I thought was an aluminum boat being pulled along the ground , second time ...no thats thunder .

Quickly packed up and headed to Kbay and the launch .

Being up against the west shore we hadn't seen the black clouds approaching , in fact we had quite a few sunny breaks during the morning.

Coming down the bay at (40 mph plus !) the sky got darker and darker , we stopped and threw on our rain gear .

5 minutes from the launch we start to see lightening in the west ...( damn I wish I had gone for the 115 hp!)

Passing Minets point lighting is intensifying (west and north), but the launch is only a minute a way .

A fast approach and quick docking I run to the van and back into the launch and load in what I am sure is our fastest time ever

As I am pulling out of the launch a lightening strike hits the construction crane directly across the street %$#%@ , loud and blinding !

I turn back to tell Pikeie to jump in the van ...hes gone ...no wait he's under the console . :thumbsup_anim:

As he jumps in the hard rain decends and keeps up for several minutes .

Hindsight

kept a closer eye on the weather , especially the west

taken shelter way sooner ," any port in a storm "

Left the boat at the launch untill the lightening subsided.

I'll take wind , waves and cold any time .

Can't wait the next time though :Gonefishing:

TB

the wierdest thing was as we were approaching the launch a small boat is leaving headed down the bay !

As sooN as we were safe in the van , they are back at the launch and trying to load .The lightening is still all around and it couldn't rain any harder .

Not sure what they were thinking .

TB

yeah they call it 'electro fishing ' maybe thats why there are Carp floating EVERYWHERE.

Love storms as well just didn;t want to be sitting in the middle of the lake during one.

We were pike fishing last spring with my brother in law and his son . it started to rain and we caught our first fish of the day , druing the next 20 minutes it rained hard and we caught 5 fish including my nephew first Pike .

TB

Wow, what an exciting adventure. I love storms myself, but they can be pretty scary when you're out on the lake. I bet that lightening hit will leave a lasting impression on you :o Seems llike that are is the only place that got a storm today.

Thanks for sharing.

Joey

Good to see you made it back OK. I had a close call a few years ago. This storm was rolling in, thunder and lightening, there was a cloud that was like a long cylinder just rolling in, the fishing was unbelieveable! One of my best days ever. It became a problem when I got a shock off of one of my rods from the static in the air. It even buzzed like a tranformer. I told my buddy we had to get out of there and he insisted on a couple my casts - this was his best day of fishing ever. My next cast the lure hit the water the line was left floating in the air and waving around and would not come down. Reeled in and hit the closest shoreline to ground us out. WAY to close if you as me, foolish looking back on it.