last few days at my camp

jwl

As luck would have it, it worked out for us to be able to spend 5 nights up at camp,my work schedule was open, the wife had docs orders to take the rest of the week off,our 13 year old headed out on a 3 week RVing adventure to Thunder Bay with a school friend and her grandparents. So off we went as this was probably the longest stretch of time on a row we can spend this summer between work ect and why not take advantage of that.

It was a fun filled trip all around but we where thrown a couple curve balls with the wather along the way...not to mention the approx 350 km trip turned into a 6 hour drive :( but we made it in time to put a fire and settle in to a few cold ones for the night.

Woke up Saturday for some decent weather, so I headed down to the dock with my little one for a few casts.

Emily was having a decent bass opener so far B)

323900047.jpg

and here is another for her with Mommy helping her out to get a pic..gotta love fishin in the back yard!!!!

323900041.jpg

and guess what Dad caught :dunno: , Emily wanted to take a pic just to rub it in I think..lol

323900045.jpg

Later on in the day the weather tuned crappy for a bit and the wind kicked up so we didn't even bother to push the tinner in for the day.

Sunday started off a decent day so we packed up a bunch of stuff and headed down to the beach so Emily could try out her new ride

323900050.jpg

We all know how spoiled kids are these days and she insisted that she had to have a chaffuer to get her around

323900193.jpg

A while later on Sunday afternoon one of my good fishin pals of over 20 years came up to his camp which is right beside mine and used to be my mom's, he bought it when my mom put her trailer up for sale. We decided we would try and get some fishin in around the weather, but wouldn't ya know it, about an hour after my buddy came we got a huge down pour for a while. The wind started to kick up again and we decided once again, not to push my tinner in the water for the day and do some fishing off the dock. My buddy got this one that looks like something tried to "catch" it first.

323900201.jpg

Finally on Monday morn we woke up early to some decent weather,popped my tinner in the water and headed out for the morning, we got into a bunch of these guys

323900196.jpg

and also a bunch of panfish and perch for the morning but we decided to try for something a bit bigger and I headed over to my "pike spot" where my buddy got the biggest one of the day

323900197.jpg

It was a great time had by all, but time on the water was pretty limited around all the crap weather, and like clock work every day the wind pretty much blew us off the water by noon hour, even yesterday morning we only got about an hour or so of fishing in before we called it a day when the whitecaps started to come over my boat and watched the lake all day as it got windier and windier, so we puttered around camp, packed it up and headed back for home about 7 pm.

As I also mentioned in the title, this was a great couple days for some pretty cool encounters with nature. We headed into town to run some errands and along the way just before the main road we saw an awesome sight. It was a huge majestic, full racked Woodland Elk bull with 3 cows...what ya know...no camera go figure, so I rushed back to my camp to grab the camera in hopes of getting a few shots. By the time I got back the Bull had wandered toward the tree line and the cows where laying in the tall grass..not sure if you can make it out in the pic but just about in the middle of the pic around the tree line is the Bull looking right at me, and off a bit to the right are the 3 cows...pic does it not much justice but if you look closely and see a couple brownish specs...that's them

323900038.jpg

On one of our trips out in the boat, I spotted somehting floating on the water and tuenred around to go see what it was and get it. Turns out it was a huge Luna Moth, I thought it was a goner floating on top and wanted to scoop it up just to show my little one. Much to my surprize when I put it down on the boat seat it started to crawl around. We got it back to camp to show my little one, and happy to say that after a little while of drying off, it eventually flew away.

323900195.jpg

This fella visited my dock every day

323900324.jpg

Tuesday while helping move a shed that the neighbour gave to my buddy for his site, I came across this pretty cool looking black and blue salamader hiding under an old piece of wood

323900321.jpg

I am glad we didn't actually "catch " any of these on our adventures but I was startled to find this in my fire pit on Tuesday night when I went out to put a fire in

323900316.jpg

All in all it was a great trip, and great also being able to share some of these nature experiences with my little on along the way, it's way better than sitting home on the couch watching re-runs, and great all around family type fun that has held many great memories along the way. :Gonefishing:

Edited by jwl

Looks like a good week and a good report I'll be heading up on Fri evening looking for those 2 Muskies that got away 2 weeks ago.

good luck in the quest man, I saw a couple just out from my place this weekend, and spooked a huge one on the top out in the open water heading toward the centre bar too ;)

won't be up for a couple weeks, but my brother is going this coming week and bringing our bigger boat up with him for his trip so I am getting him just to leave it up at my trailer for me when I head up next time so I have it for a few good missions before I bring it back home. Will have to meet up some time out there if possible if we head out there at the same time since we are practically neighbours :Gonefishing:

thanks for all the comments folks..as you can probably tell from most of my reports, I love sharing this kind of time with my family and we always have a great time at it, many more trailer reports to come for the season as well. My youngest one is always bugging to go to the trailer, she loves it there...the older girls..well, you know teenagers :rolleyes::dunno: they have thier "moments" where they think the trailer is boring, but once they get there they have a good time ;)

We caught lots of fish as usal, I am waiting for some pics back from my buddy's camera to share some more.

As for the moth, those things are huge, it was a pretty cool find, but even cooler to me that i actually saved it from the water, it dried out and flew away

jwl... not to hijack you're thread... but here are a few more pictures of a Lunar Moth, I thought maybe you're daughter might enjoy them :)

Awesome report and thank you for sharing! Hope you're daughter likes the pictures

DSC00500-1.jpg

DSC00508.jpg

DSC00511.jpg

DSC00510.jpg

DSC00509.jpg

jwl... not to hijack you're thread... but here are a few more pictures of a Lunar Moth, I thought maybe you're daughter might enjoy them :)

Awesome report and thank you for sharing! Hope you're daughter likes the pictures

DSC00500-1.jpg

DSC00508.jpg

DSC00511.jpg

DSC00510.jpg

DSC00509.jpg

cool pics, but I beleive the moth in your pic is a Cecopria Moth(not sure the spelling), they get huge too, hatched one in a jar once when I was a kid. Thanks for sharing the little one thinks they are pretty cool

jwl, LOL you mean the resident experts here on OFC were wrong?? NOOOOOOOO it cannot be!!! LOL! this capture was a first for me.. I thought it was a butterfly LOL!

Thanks for the correction :) and again a fantastic report.

G

jwl, LOL you mean the resident experts here on OFC were wrong?? NOOOOOOOO it cannot be!!! LOL! this capture was a first for me.. I thought it was a butterfly LOL!

Thanks for the correction :) and again a fantastic report.

G

not to be a wize guy here :P , but if the alleged experts said it was a "Lunar Moth"...that one isn't, the one on the pic of mine is...and there is definately no "R" at the end...it is LUNA MOTH :whistling:;):lol:

just funnin, look up Cecopria moth(spelling again) :dunno: ,you will see it's the one in your pic :Gonefishing:

Great report jwl, thanks for sharing.

Yeah, those Luna moths are indeed huge. We have tried to "rescue" 3 or 4 over the years we found floating on the water also. One might have made it, cannot remember now. Last one we came across was 6 yrs. ago, but one of its wings was damaged. We left it back on the water where we found it.

Guest Johnny Bass

Excellent report! Looks like the family had a great time. Some fishing and lots of encounters with wildlife. That is the biggest moth I have ever seen and it looks really cool!!!So does the salamander. Apparently they are good for fishing.

Sucks about the wind though. I don't think I have fished a calm or semi-calm day all season. Anyways, thanks for sharing.