I used to laugh at Alberta walleye rules, not anymore

Cudz

My parents live in Alberta and they often fish walleye. I used to make fun of their 1 fish limit and in many cases no fish limit on their lakes. I don't do that anymore. I fished a small lake there this summer and experienced non-stop walleye action. I caught them on virtually anything including chatterbaits.

Yesterday I got an email from my mother who informed me they were just back from Lesser Slave Lake. Over the 2 day trip they fished for s total of 5 hours and caught 38 walleyes!!!! They used exclusively 4" storm swimbaits that she bought from wal-mart on my recommendation.

Now here is the kicker to this story. The first day they fished from 4pm until 6pm (stays light there until 10:45pm) and the following day they fished from 10:30 am until 1:30pm. Those are not exactly prime walleye fishing times. O

Oh yeah, the smallest fish was 17"

I am jealous

Man thats great fishing for sure !!!!...its too bad that there very few areas where you can still do that,and catch fish all the time,of course i mean whithout driving 20hrs north,of the GTA !!!!!...well most of the kawartha lakes were like that,i remember when my grand parents owned riverside lodge in bobcaygeon,and my grandad rented out boats and was a guide many years ago and thats what it used to be like....too,bad but im glad alberta has got the idea,and does the right thing,they should impose a slot limit for fish over 23inches and be mandatory release,so the spawners get to do it again & again & again !!!! and besides a 6lb,er tastes like crap anyway,thats why everyone should have a camera,its so easy

fishindevil is right about the the larger ones after 5lb they start to taste bad and if you catch a big one and dont have camera just let it go or put it in livewell dont put it on a stringer or cause any damage to the fish. keep the memory not the fish

Yea I said the same two years ago when I was posted in Wainwright AB, said my favorite lake was Wolf. Huge Walleye but catch and release. If you wanted to eat, there was plenty of Jack, The only problem with Alberta rules is they go to Saskatchewan and make sure they limit out, as we are allowed six Walleye. Since our Boom people are really noticing the AB plates and their out of town habits.

Most people that catch a bigger eye and keep it for the table are occasional fisherman can't really begrudge someone for keeping most likely there only fish all year, now those of us that have the skills and time to put into it know a 1 1/2 to 2 lber is best for tablefare but a limit of 1 fish in ontario is silly imo the current kawartha limit of 4 one over 18 will prove to be benificial in the futre