Beleated Can-Am Tournament Report

Wendel

Nicole and I decide to head down to Belle River on the weekend for the 2008 LAKE ST.CLAIR MUSKIE CLASSIC CAN-AM.

I was looking forward to seeing the guys from the Belle River chapter of Muskies Canada, it's been about 2 years since I've been a member due to the fact that I've moved to woodstock.

We setup camp at Rochester Place Campground, I tell you if you are ever looking for a great place to camp and dock your boat this is definately it. it was around 42 bucks a night with taxes in! Great facilities, close to the water, and above all very clean!

We said hi to the guys on Friday Mike(Mr.Eh), George(Outlaw), Paul(fisheye), and a few other fella's.

We were camped beside a few other guys that knew about OFC, but didn't really participate in the discussions(HI Jim and Tom!)

We were eager to get on the lake and try our luck for a few musky, but I guess we should have just stayed onshore and talked about musky instead.

We trolled for about 3 hours, not a touch :/ It was a sign of things to come...

Saturday morning we headed out just as the sun was coming up...

P1010739.JPG

We headed West, our plan was to fish in 10-14 feet of water. We wanted to try around the hump as there had been alot of reports of good perch and walleye fishing there lately...

at 8:30am my Rod goes off... a good fight, I could feel alot of head shakes.. I'm think a mid 40's fish... uh uh... but it was a fat 36"

P1010736.JPG

We trolled around til 2pm without another bite, we had a family event to go to in Windsor so off the lake we went.

Probably a good idea to, because a huge thunderstorm came rolling in!

That was our fishing done for Saturday... only Sunday left...

Sunday morning we head out again!!

nothing to report other then it was light out... we fished til about 12:30 then came off the lake.

We headed over to the banquet hall and had a great meal and a few laughs with our fellow fishermen.

There were only 2 fish that qualified for the tourney... a 50 and a 49.. everyone else we had spoken with was either skunked or had small fish like us...

Hopefully it's just because of the cold weather.

After the awards and dinner we decided to stay an extra day in paradise...

We were going to troll for some musky, but nicole wanted to get some fish, I wanted to help her so I took her to a secret walley spot I know...

Here are the results...

P1010787.JPG

we ended up with 2 nice walleyes and a mouth full of fishflys when we were heading off the lake.

The next morning we didn't get up so early(slept til 10), gassed up the boat, got some worms and head back again...

There were some big thunder clouds rolling in and we did spot some funnel clouds over our campsite I'm sure(aren't trailer parks magnets for tornados?)

P1010779.JPG

P1010776.JPG

needless to say, we couldn't go back to shore then lol

Luckily the fishing was good..

P1010784.JPG

P1010788.JPG

P1010787.JPG

We ended up with 9 walleye and a bunch of perch...

We also saw this beatiful sunset and the lake was much like glass

P1010815.JPG

P1010817.JPG

I usually don't keep so many, but this weekend we are having company down at the cottage and I wanted to keep them for a fish fry.

Overall it was a great weekend...

Mr. Eh, Outlaw, and the rest of the belle river chapter... thanks for the great time!

Guest Johnny Bass

Great report! I know that Lake St.Clair is famous for Muskies and the Detroit river has there fair share of pickerel, but I hardly see pickerel reports from LSC. Looks like they have a healthy population of those also. Thanks for sharing.

Great report! I know that Lake St.Clair is famous for Muskies and the Detroit river has there fair share of pickerel, but I hardly see pickerel reports from LSC. Looks like they have a healthy population of those also. Thanks for sharing.

Usually the pics in there are little dinks... but they have grown substantially lately!

Hey Wendel,

It was great meeting you and your wife Saturday night at Tim's fire. Enjoyed the poop chat. Nice to put a face to the name. When Angelo and I were out fishing on the Friday, we were impressed on the size of the walleyes they were getting out there. Certainly a good sign for the lake.

Just amazed on the amount of Fish flies (May fly) out there. The larval shells floating on the surface sure did make us think twice about what to use for bait. All the fish have to do is swim around with their mouths open!

thecan -am was a great fun outing for all. thank you folks. i met so many great folks from this board. the chapt. of belle river muskies canada does this outing yearly.moneys raised goes to. youth education, fisheries and helping out folks in need.. the rochester place campground and park has all the perks for hard core musky fishemen, to family camping. golf course pool, boat ramp, marina and even a great buffet. . the top 2 fish were a 50 inch musky, and a 49 incher. all fish were safely released.. im sure mr EH can put together a good report.. eh and mrs. eh put countless hours into the development of this can-am this year. thanks again.

that's a pretty good report, nice sized eyes as well, I used to spend alot of time fishing on LSC when I was a teen, my granparents had a cottage in Stoney Point. Good to see those size walleye come out of there, years back most of my grandparent's friends who fished the lake would make the long haul out to Erie to get the fish that size.