New to the Boards, Still Relatively New to Fishing!

Hello All!

My Name is Ryan. This is just me introducing myself to you, the rest of the OFC community. I heard about these boards through a friend and decided to join up after reading some quality posts. I am 26 from the Kitchener-Waterloo area and I just started fishing regularly last year. I have been fishing for Channel Catfish, Trout, and Bass for the most part.

A few more things about me and fishing . . . .

My Current Setup:

Rod - St. Croix Premier 7' Medium Action

Reel - Shimano Stradic 2500 FI

Line - Spiderwire 8lb test

Best Catch: A 28.8 Pound Salmon in the Kincardine Fishing Derby (good for second place) when I was a kid.

A few questions that I have (they aren't about your best fishing spots :canadian: )

- Where can I find out information on local fishing tournaments and-or Provincial fishing Tournaments

- Some friends and I have rented a cottage on Sparrow Lake from July 6-July 13. I am looking for Information or Topographic Maps on the lake so that I can do some quality research before the trip. If anyone knows anything about the lake, or can help in this department it would be GREATLY appreciated!

I look forward to contributing to the forums, and getting to know you folks!

Ryan

Guest Johnny Bass

Welcome to the board! You have a great setup!

Don't have any information for maps or tournament info, but I will bump it up and hopefully someone will chime in.

Where did you rent your cottage? One thing I like to do is fish up and down to the swing bridge on the Severn first thing in the morning before the boat traffic starts. It produces lots of bass and the odd muskie but once boat traffic begins the fishing is over. The two weedlines right and left of the channel of the severn at the south end of the lake have provided great topwater and spinner bait action for me. Ive always had great luck fishing the rice with weedless spoons and a pork trailer. Oh and did I mention Duck Bay , No? well dont forget to fish there as well.

As far as tourneys there use to be a KW chapter of Bassmasters dont know if there still is. You can ask at Natural Sports Im sure they will know.

Edited by Musky or Specks

Thanks for all the greetings fellas!

As far as the tournament scene goes, I just want to join some smaller ones (preferably river tournaments as I do not yet have a boat).

To BillM Thanks a lot for the link, it should prove to be very useful!

To Reefrunner A lot of my friends in the same age bracket fish as well. I'm from a small-town outside Waterloo, and I guess you could call it "the sticks". This probably means that my friends were more likely to fish growing up. Regardless, my friends and myself are all responsible anglers as well. For the most part, we practice live release of our fish. All of us have our fishing licenses, and obey the fishing guidelines. I'm glad to hear that most people on here practice the same tactics. I really feel that we need to keep our fisheries healthy for future generations and for our future enjoyment.

To Musky or Specks Wow man, thanks a lot for all that helpful stuff on Sparrow. I am greatly appreciative and my friends will be as well. I have absolutely no experience with Sparrow Lake, and my fellow cottagers don't either. We're basically going off of our research prior to the week away, and off of GPS. I wasn't in charge of actually renting the cottage but I can tell you that it is on Grandview Lodge Road. I should also add that we do have a good boat at our disposal.

Thanks Again Guys!