Back to the reef for some 'eyes

limeyangler

Hi Y'all,

Well after finding a nice reef on Friday, I decided to head back and try anchoring up as suggested by OFC member Cranksbait in reply to my post for that day. Took me a while to find it, as i remembered my land marks all wrong!!! lol....anyway after a bit of messing about and wishing i had got the Lowrance 522 instead of the X67C (522 has GPS) i found myself scrambling to lift he Yamaha up before it was a case of 'goodbye skegarooni'.

Like i said in the previous post, superb reef dropping off to 30 feet, one steep side, one gradual slope....weeds all around, although strangely bare across the top (like myself) with a big 1- 5' plateau.

NICE WALLEYE CABBAGE AND BAITFISH

h.jpg

I anchored up at 22' depth on the gradual slope and set my bobber depth to 14 feet....the wind would basically carry the bait up the slope, and i could just keep dragging it back towards me when the bait hit bottom depth and let it run up the slope again, been wanting to try this for a while. 2 mins after the first cast...the bobber started its lie flat and wiggle walleye waltz...fish on...not big, but not bad for 3 minutes work.

PROMISING START

j.jpg

I put that one back....and kinda glad i did...cuz it was the only fish i caught on the reef, so it would not have been enough for the wife and i for supper. As you can see from the pick i dropped the marker buoy on top of the reef for a point of reference....however both the buoy and the anchor were dragging the whole time...and i could not get them to stick.....suggestions?.....so after becoming very frustrated i decided it was still only 5:30pm so i had enough time to go the 3 miles to Mile Lake for some bass.

As i was leaving the reef...the sun, that had been threatening to show itself for one of the first times this summer...FINALLY BROKE THROUGH!!!! only a few clouds in the sky and a nice cool north wind...absolutely gorgeous evening......

AAAAHHHHH.....SUMMER AT LAST!!!!

k.jpg

THE ENTRANCE TO MILE LAKE ( if you are able to watch this video its all because of the help i got from TBayboy)

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i263.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid263.photobucket.com/albums/ii158/vishuscirquel/MVI_1200.flv">

Yeah right!....lets go get some fish....hmmmmmm. Not a fish anywhere at my first mark. I did see a giant ...and i mean GIANT! pike swim right under the boat...tried to get him or her to bite...but nah...nuffink doin'. Anyway, i was trying the areas i had success a couple weeks back...that is to say shallow rocky stretches of shoreline...with no weed growth...dropping off into deeper water about 10-15' from shore....funnily enough it is only at these spots where the bass bite at the moment in this lake....and even stranger, i realised today that unless there are Cedar pine along those stretches of shore you wont get a bite either. Like i said though, i got only one swirl at the surface using a chug bug topwater, tried nearly every hardbait, tube jig, mepps spinner in my box.

I was at the entrance to the lake to start, and i did notice that the water here had some algae bloom happening, and also the shore i was fishing was in direct sunlight, casting my shadow over it....i decided that this combination was not good and headed over to the shaded

shore....which as it happens was clear of algae .

THE MORE SHADED STRETCH OF SHORE ....NOTICE THE CEDAR PINE....WEIRD HOW THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE

n.jpg

Despite having heard that topwaters are better on cloudy days, i went with one because it had been the only lure so far to arouse any interest. I decided that because the water was much clearer, and the skies almost cloudless, i would use a smaller one with a more silvery baitfish appearance. Three or for casts later, there was a very calm swirl by the lure, i struck...fish on!

NOT A BAD FIRST BASS OF THE DAY

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i263.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid263.photobucket.com/albums/ii158/vishuscirquel/o.flv">

I worked that shoreline for about an hour or so....lots of bass...in fact lost count...great fun...here's some i snapped

BASSASSESSES

p.jpg

q.jpg

r.jpg

s.jpg

They are roughly the same size.....a couple of nice ones, i must get something to weigh them with as i have no idea , however the largest i caught were both 19inches. I measured them because Team #4 already has one of 19" and I’m trying to get a better one....but after way more than 20 fish between myself and my buddy who fished this lake with me a couple weeks back, just cant get one bigger than that...

CANT SEEM TO GET ONE MORE THAN 19"!??!

t.jpg

This started me thinking about the size of fish in this lake...and i also realised that i never caught any little ones....lol....that’s when i hooked this guy

GOOD TO SEE THE NEXT GENERATION COMING THROUGH

u.jpg

As you can see from that last pic the sun was beginning to set...i don’t have any night lights for the boat so...like many a fisherman before me....it was time for “one last cast", which turned into about 10 more casts...lol....my final cast for the day got me my one and only pike

LITTLE PIKE AND TIME TO CALL IT A DAY

v.jpg

The rain did make a late appearance, but it was just one rain cloud in an otherwise pretty cloudless sky...looked kinda cool

JUST ONE RAIN CLOUD

x.jpg

Time to head back, as it was getting dark quick...like many times before the sunset was quite breathtaking.....lol...i know i keep posting pics of sunsets...its just that they are so awesome...have to bore you all again I’m afraid.

I LOVE THESE SUNSETS!

y.jpg

z.jpg

zz.jpg

Tomorrow I’m heading back...AGAIN...lol...this time my wife is coming with me , she loves to fish for pike...so i might even go to the larger lake behind this one that is connected by another weeded channel, see what’s happening in there.

Guest Johnny Bass

Limey. You have some very impressive posts with some nice pictures and vids to boot. That was a nice scrappy bass! I would definitely invest more time in that reef spot, and work all depths of the water. Work the bottom with a jig, or work a deep diving crank bait, or a top water in the evening!

Thanks for sharing.