Fishfinder selection

spinin jay

Ok, I have done search on the site/web on portable fishfinders.I have got a bit of good info from these previous topics.Now I may have missed some info,I have a question.

I'm looking at the Humminbird 535,565 and Eagle 320 all portable.The main thing I was checkin(right or wrong not sure) is the comparison between PTP power(rms) and screen pixels.

535-2000 watt(250 rms),,,320vX320h,,,,,12level grayscale,,,, fstn lcd,,,259.99

565 -2000watt(250rms),,,,,640vX320h,,,,,12level grayscale,,,, fstn lcd,,,,, 265.99

320-1500watt(187rms),,,320X320,,,,16 level grayscale,,,film supertwist,,,,229.99

It would make sense to go with the 565 price,etcc......but if I can get it (ordered in time).Would I really notice a difference between the 320 and 640 pixels,or the rms rating? Also 565 dual beam,20/60,does it really matter if I fish shallower lakes rivers?

Any info on this would be great.

When first started searchin I was mainly looking at the 535 and may have skipped info on 565 and the 320 eagel,so even if somethings doubled up from old post still is appreciated.

Edited by Spinin Jay

I dunno...I"ve never been a big fan of humminbird. I hear they are getting better though...so who knows.

I will always stick with lowrance/eagle.

I just have a cheap lowrance X-97. It works great. I can mark a perch jig in 80 FOW......good enough for me. IF there's fish, it marks them. I mainly use it for finding structure, and I have a portable kit to use it for icefishing. Works great, and the price was right.

Sinker

I was in the market this year for a finder for my wife. I looked at a lot of them and when I was lucky enough to be at Cabela's I could compare them in the simulator mode. I opted for the 565 for the same price as the other models I was looking at. Then through a quirk of fate, we were in a fleet and farm store in the same area and I bought it for $175. Cabela's and bass pro were selling it for $199.

I hooked up the unit and it looks like watching a tv compared with the old model she had (it was a panorama version by humingbird)

you won't be sorry with this unit.

Thanks for the reply fellas.I'm leaning more to the 565,,just if anyone can slightly explain the rms,watts,pixel and 20 degree,60 degree thing,,,,I'm not sure if I know exactly what it means.

I'm guessin more watt/rms the more accurate the display,the higher pixel the clearer the display,and 20/60 you can see a wider range on 60 and more accurate on 20?Sorry if this sounds silly but just on the learning edge.

Thanks again

20/60 means that you will have a more accurate "picture" of the water and bottom below the boat with the 20 degree sonar as it goes down in a tighter spread. The 60 degree beam will give you a general idea of the water and bottom surrounding the boat.

RMS = Root mean square essentially the middle of the sine wave. It is the best descriptor of the power of the unit. Equate it to a car stereo power rating, if that helps. It is the average watts put out by the unit, after some fancy math.

Your explanation is pretty much on the mark.

Good luck with your choice!

As I mentioned earlier, my wife needed a new fishfinder so I got her the 565. She likes to see the "fish" on the screen and when I got out the instructions from the box the way I understand it, with the dual beam, the "fish" she sees on the screen register like this: the solid black fish are the ones under the boat and in the 20 degree cones view, the ones that are hollow (or just fish outlines) are the ones in the larger 60 degree cone.