Went for bass....found some walleye

limeyangler

Hi Y'all,

Went back to Mile Lake in search of more bass for an afternoons entertainment and found a bunch of decent Walleye. I started off with my trusty mepps spinner which seems to work best for bass on this lake at the moment. After a few casts I was seeing fish follow the spinner up to the boat, thing is it did not look like jackfish or bass....looked like walleye, but they were not biting. I had had some luck with jerk baits here...so quickly changed up, but no takers. So back to the spinner and after a few more casts got this little guy.....

SO IT WAS WALLEYE FOLLOWING IN TO BOAT

1-1.jpg

After that it was quiet for a bit so switched to live bait on bobber......lots of perch around taking the bobber for a walk without committing to swallowing the darn bait, but as usual it was only a matter of time before the jackfish made an appearance........

CANT RESIST A LIVE MINNOW OVER THE TOP OF CABBAGE BEDS

3-1.jpg

Decided the walleye must have moved on or were reacting to spinner baits...so changed again and after a few more casts hooked into this monster

THIS GUY ALMOST BROKE THE SCALES

2-1.jpg

After that little Jackfish i got to thinking. This Lake is absolutely crawling with jackfish, but i rarely catch them over 25", so where are the big guys? Its not a huge lake, but it is a fairly even 20 -30 feet deep in the middle sections. I have never fished the middle so decided to see what was lurking in the deeper water. No fish were showing on the Lowrance, but lots of weed and structure down there. I decided to throw on a big deep diving lure and troll /drift across the deeper section, about 1/4 mile drift. After twenty minutes i got a hit! I was surprised cuz i really never tried this method before so was sure i was not doing it right. The fish felt big for a minute, until i remembered to switch off the trolling motor...DUH!...lol. I was even more surprised to see how little the jackfish was that hammered such a big lure, he really attacked it, was foul hooked with both hooks in the side of the body!!!

BIG BAIT = BIG FISH?

4-1.jpg

I drifted back and forth for another half hour, not takers. Decided to switch to live minnow on big 1oz white whistle jig but still no takers. I drifted right to shore almost when i got the tell tale tap, tap of a walleye, yup......got him to the boat...nice....few more of those and dinner is served!!

YUM!

5-1.jpg

I realised that i had actually drifted into the little bay where i had been when i caught my first ever walleyes on jerk baits, and yup baitfish showing up all over the screen. So i downed the anchors and decided to try and get three more for supper before continuing on my quest for bass. Well the bay was absolutely teeming with walleye. They were showing up right under the boat on the fishfinder and that’s as far as I had to cast. The jerk baits and spinners were not working, guess because of all the baitfish around so was using the bobber with minnow. It literally took 3 casts to get 3 fish. All the fish 17-18", perfect for keeping, but i did spend a good hour there reeling them in to see if there were any bigger guys there to enter into OFC tourney....GO TEAM 4! but they were all roughly the same size. I did manage a perch a whisker under 12" for the tourney, and a jackfish of 30" which put up a good fight.

DINNER IS SERVED!!!

8-1.jpg

ONE FOR TEAM#4

6-1.jpg

GUESS THE BIGGER ONES WERE NOT IN DEEPER WATER AFTER ALL

7-1.jpg

I decided after not getting any bigger walleye to continue on my almost forgotten Bass quest.......and did get a couple small ones before heading home before the mother of all storms hit.

DID GET SOME BASS AFTER ALL

BASS VIDEO LINK

th_MVI_1111.jpg

All in all another fun day out with supper at the end of it.

Edited by limeyangler

Excellent perch, who cares about the pike(trash fish for me up where I fish), nice walleye dinner, thanks for sharing.

[/quote

most of u guys from the north miss the great fishing.pike are not" trash fish" they are verocious predators the bite and fight harder then those sissy walleye.actually im really glad that most of the northern folk dont target them gives me a great opportunity to catch some trophys.

Guest Johnny Bass

Nice!The bass weren't co-operating but looks like you got a nice fish fry! And that perch looks closer to 13 inches!!

Thanks for sharing.