River Smallies

danbo

You would luv it! :thumbsup_anim:

That's what I'm thinking. I've already decided to use the flyrod on Day One. Of course the Quantum will be in the car just in case.

I have absolutely no idea what patterns to use though. I guess I'll just have to see if I have anything that looks like any of the bugs flying around me. If that doesn't get their attention I'll just let something sit on the bottom. I might even have to see if I can flycast with a live worm on. :whistling:

It oughta be fun.

JF

Crayfish patterns workwell on the Thames Try around the #7 bridge

Thanks. I've been meaning to try that part of the river. They should work upriver as well. There's lots of crayfish on the limestone bottom.

JF

JohnF

don't worry so much about matching the hatch for smallies. Some wooly buggers, some streamers and a surface fly are all you really need.

That's encouraging. This whole thing of matching the hatch and knowing all the different patterns and their appropriate application is pretty intimidating to a newby. Makes sense to start from a simple base selection and work out from there as one gains experience.

JF

memories!!!

grew up flyfishing for smallies on the maitland river through Howick township. Spend the summers on the farm with my grandparents in Forwich and as a wee lad and would bike all over the county with my fly rod strapped to my back. Fished alot around the dam at Gorrie and all the way back to Fordwich on the maitland. got chased by several cows cutting across farmers fields - my kids love those old stories.

Spent all day on the river with a handful of poppers and muddler minnows. I can still remember very vivid memories of catching a 23.5" smallie at the dam in Fordwich

memories!!!

grew up flyfishing for smallies on the maitland river through Howick township. Spend the summers on the farm with my grandparents in Forwich and as a wee lad and would bike all over the county with my fly rod strapped to my back. Fished alot around the dam at Gorrie and all the way back to Fordwich on the maitland. got chased by several cows cutting across farmers fields - my kids love those old stories.

Spent all day on the river with a handful of poppers and muddler minnows. I can still remember very vivid memories of catching a 23.5" smallie at the dam in Fordwich

Isn't that the kind of memory many of us are trying to get back to with fishing. How many here, no matter how many fish they've caught since, still remember the simple days as kids catching Rock Bass and Sunfish with worms as the best days of our lives?

JF