JOBS

Pachone

I'm a professional recipient of funds from my sugar mama right now.

Actually I'm a student - again! Did a BSc in Bio but then went to work in the auto industry for 6 years, first in operations, then sales and marketing.

After two years of very intense work travel, I realized I'd never be able to fish nearly enough if I was on the road this much.

And so back to business school I went, with my wife looking after our expenses this year.

Gotta get my act together now though and find a job as I will be done in August.

Great thread - such a diverse background for everyone with lots of interesting experiences. Fishing truly brings people together!

I just graduated from the Aviation Maintenance program at Centennial College and got my first job as a Helicopter maintenance technician. I've been at the job for one week and hope to be there for some time.

My ultimate goal is to go back to the college as a teacher once I have enough experience.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Clamp-it,

Today's trades ARE Technology based. The days of a tradesman being a "wrench turner" or "grease monkey" are long gone. I'm sure there are some parts that are less technology based than others, but the Refrigeration trade today , including Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning are very technical in nature. Building Automation and Controls are very computer based. The whole "Green" concept is reverting a lot of our work back to science and things like photovoltaic, wind energy, etc.

I don't think you meant it like this, but I always get a little peeved when someone says, "if you don't want to stay in school, get a trade!"

I've spent the last 27 years taking courses and upgrading my knowledge while working. Now I am in "school" full time!

I'm 43 yrs old , been in contracting for 25 yrs.

Worked my A%$ of for as long as I can remember. Not looking forward to winters outside anymore or busting my A$% for no pension.,

I have recently applied to teach Carpentry/Construction trades at Algonquin college in Ottawa.

Work winters indoors, summers off.

Sounds good to me.

Scary though thinking of a change after doing the same thing forever!!

Looking out for my kids future. :rolleyes:

Good ol Algonquin! I heard on the radio today that they got a good sum of money to build a construction trades building, sure beats the old F building with the billion year old furnaces to learn on! Hopefully Matt you can get in on the new building although it will be a few years!

Edited by Tinman

Out of high school I went into the trades: Pipefitting and steamfitting was good money, but I didn't like the lay-off and call back cycle going on in B.C. at the time.

Went to UVIC to be a high school teacher (' 95), but took a part time job with a golf distributor while going there and have worked my way up to operations director. Great job with a great company

(even moved to Ontario to stay with it), but summers are busy as golfing and fishing are competing hobbies.

As others have mentioned, I could go back on the tools at any time. My buddies in Alberta call me regulary as the tradesmen are all making 100K plus a year.

Life is definitely too short to do something you hate everyday!

No one ever lay on their deathbed wishing they spent more time at the office.

cheers

Run the voice and data networks and the whole data centre shooting match for an office supply company, probably never heard of us Staple something or other. Low stress job. I'm 65 and man would I like to say I'm retired and fishin

• 2 weeks later...