Fishing boat makeover?

Black_Blade

In my snooping around, trying to locate a trailer for my 12 foot aluminum that reasonably priced, I see several boat and trailer combos for $500 or so...the boats are those old 50's style with the windshield etc. Just wondered if it would be worth the effort to redo one of those into a proper fishing boat (take out that front "hood" section and install a casting deck etc...

Prolly be quite a bit of work, has anybody bothered to try something like that?

Hmmm, just occurred to me...if I get a trailer for boat, since I already have a small 12 foot camp trailer, I wouldn't be able to take both...now there is a dilemma!!!

Edited by Black Blade

You normally get what you pay for, unless you have been a lucky guy in years. Many old boat are free to take, and you have nothign to lose.

If you are a retired handy man, nothing is impossible. Making sure the boat is balance is another issue to ponder on.

Old boat tends to retain water on their Flotation Foam, the floor is not good.

IF you pay around minimum of $3000 you should be able to get a decent package of boat and motor.

For me it was worth the effort. This is 14' and went from this

med_gallery_186_32_72360.jpg

To this

med_gallery_186_32_2579.jpg

for sure, if its an open boat like yours its a good idea...was thinking more about those older style ones, some of which are aluminum.

Was just wondering if others out there had redone one of them older style boats into a more modern vessel.

I think you're refering to the "bowrider" type of boats ... don't know why neither but i rarely people "makeover" one of those. There are so many of them for sale listed as "project boats".

It's so hard to find a reasonably priced trailer on its own though eh ... but they are usually quite cheap if you buy it with these boats ...

good luck with your search

Nope the next boat I want to rebuild is something from the 50's with the big fins on the back. It's going to be designed and painted like the Batboat on the old Batman and robin show....someday......

Art

Don't waste your time converting a runabout (closed bow) into something with a casting deck. The "hood" is part of the structure. Cutting this out would weaken the boat and it could fold at the windshield. Not to mention, it will look like hell.

There are good deals to be had on older fiberglass bowriders. They usually require a lot of work but with some time and money can be converted much easier than a runabout.

-Brian

Don't waste your time converting a runabout (closed bow) into something with a casting deck. The "hood" is part of the structure. Cutting this out would weaken the boat and it could fold at the windshield. Not to mention, it will look like hell.

There are good deals to be had on older fiberglass bowriders. They usually require a lot of work but with some time and money can be converted much easier than a runabout.

-Brian

i agree with brian there