Bait Casters

BassMan11

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20375

Good reel and a deal too... Either are good quality... basically like anything, get a good one once and it will make life easier.

I got the Energy reel a few weeks ago and it didn't take much practise out at the pool to get the feel of it. I'm feeling so good about I'm taking it out for the bass opener instead of my trusty spinning reel. I did go back and get a medium action 6' rod though. I decided the 6'6 MH was a tad stiff for the little bass I catch. I'll keep the heavier rod for if and when I ever get to chase bigger fish.

For what it's worth, I recommend it as an easy learning reel.

The only thing I wish it had was a twitching bar. I didn't know what they were when I got this reel but having since had a chance to try one I'd kinda like one.

JF

The only thing I wish it had was a twitching bar. I didn't know what they were when I got this reel but having since had a chance to try one I'd kinda like one.

JF

Are you looking for the real one or the cheap one on the plastic framed reel that Daiwa released not long ago? If you're interested in getting the teamdaiwa Viento , i'm going to be brining mine back home to Ontario when i come back from my vacation spot in late September and will probably sell it. I've had it for 2 years but since i only used it on vacation, it's only had about 3 months max of actual use. It's 3 months of hardcore fishing though so it has had moderate use, no worn parts, very well taken care of, well rinsed after each use (saltwater environment). It's a lefty, btw. Beautiful reel and an amazing caster. On an 8' rod and the right lure, i can cast it right down to the spool.

for the OP, get the best reel you can afford becuase junk is just hard to use, especially in baitcasting reels, and you'll be left with the wrong impression of them. Personally, i would recommend a used one so you can get a higher quality reel that you would probably not be willing to pay full price for considering it's your first. Another thing about baitcasters is the better reels have better casting controls which makes them easy to use, like you want. I should say "easier" because none of them are easy to use if you've never used one. expect tons of backlash and line over-runs in your first few months.

Most baitcasters come in left and right hand retrieve. On your spinning setup if you reel with your left had and hold the rod with your right then you should go with a left hand retrieve reel. The Quantum reels on sale are great reels you won't be dissapointed with one of those.

Just wondering which bait caster reals were easy to use for someones first time using them. I am a long time fisherman but never really had the urge to use one until this year. Any suggestions?

Cheers.

Mac

There are so many quality reels on the market, it is hard to give just one. Go to any number of quality stores like BPS, Gagnon's, Tightlines, JBs Fishing Depot. Hold the reel in your hand and make sure it is comfortable in your hand. I have my preferences, but most of the reels I prefer are ones I grew up with. Buy the best you can afford, don;t cheap out you will regret.

good luch

Just JOHN

OK...so I saw the link: http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20375 and off I went clicking away to buy a bait caster.

To cut a long story short.....I think I ordered the freshwater edition and its the salt water models that were on sale....same price....whats the difference?

why would they sell a fresh water version that has inferior rust resistance?

http://www.quantumfishing.com/fwreels/energyPT_baitcast.html

http://www.quantumfishing.com/swreels/ener...s_baitcast.html

forrest