A little motor maintenance, fishing, and good times.

ccmtcanada

My little one couldn't wait to head back up to Big Cliff's place today. The plan was to take the boat up, and change the impeller. The motor is 25 years old and I had no idea when the last time that little part was changed, so before taking it up to Lakair, I decided that it had to be changed.

We left the house at around 930am, and arrived there just after 1030. It was already HOT and humid outside, so this little job was going to be uncomfortable. After figuring out how to get the lower unit off the motor, we got to changing the impeller itself. We had a few times where we got stumped, but it's amazing what information is the manual, under the "Changing the Impeller" section. LOL. Neither of us had done this before, but BITEME said it was easy....hehe.

Bigcliff01.jpg

Bigcliff02.jpg

We finally had the part changed and tested the motor in a garbage can and it all worked out great! Even though the old impeller looked ok, the motor now pees like it's had 6 beers and no trips to the bathroom.

We ended up launching the boat at a nearby marina (who wouldn't take our money to launch once he found out we were spending the day with Big Cliff) and got out on the water at about 2:30. Our little one was going for panfish with a small jig tipped with a worm, and bly and I went after eyes with larger ones. Every once in a while, I threw a musky bait to see if I could get one. As it turned out, bly and I were skunked....and the little one caught 6 perch!!

Bigcliff03.jpg

We headed in at around 6pm to the smell of a roast cooking in the kitchen. Sue put together an awesome dinner (good thing we weren't planning on a fish fry...LOL) and we spent a great evening chatting. We ended up staying later than we originally anticipated because our place was under a tornado watch with all kinds of severe weather, but the storm was moving at 70kph and we left at 930pm. We got home by 1045...tired, but we had an amazing day.

My little one said her favourite part of the day was snuggling with Big Cliff while watching movies....it was very cute. Now you've done it Cliff....she'll be pestering us to go back up there for a sleepover.

Thanks Cliff and Sue....once again we had a great time.

Ya, there are a few little things that the manual doesn't tell you LOL, like how to get the hole in the shift leaver lined up with the hole in the shaft and that took us a few minutes and a few tries to figure out but now that we know how, it's easy. It turned out that Cliff's owners manual was easier to follow than the service manual, I think the service manual was trying to cover too many different combinations of features. Now that we have done it once, I'll bet we could do it in 1/4 of the time with no problem, well, if we didn't have so many friends stopping by wanting their lawn mower blades sharpened or just to say hi LOL.

I really enjoyed working on it with Cliff, we both got to learn a lot and we seem to work really well together, he is very patient and observent. I'd tackle just about any project with him any time.

As always it was a real pleasure spending time with you and I always have a ball with Sydney, I hope Fuzzy Wuzzy Soft is still doing well in his new home (it's a long story LOL) suffice to say caterpiller in a jar and a little girl.....

Got to go to work.

Sounds like another amazing weekend for you guys!

Whoah Sydney is like godly with panfish now :D ... she's so good that the perch would hold on to the tail of her grub and let her bring it up without being hooked :clapping:

I must have just missed you guys at the launch. I went out around 6:00......or so. I didn't notice your vehicle, but I wasn't really paying attention either....LOL.

Fishing was slow, we got 2 keeper eyes, and one musky follow to the boat.......plus a million dinky perch.

Thanks for the report!

Sinker

Guest Johnny Bass

Great report. Too bad about the fishing but fishing is tuff in the afternoon in this heatwave. You should have stayed out for the evening bite, but that home cooked roast sounds mighty delicious!

I must have just missed you guys at the launch. I went out around 6:00......or so. I didn't notice your vehicle, but I wasn't really paying attention either....LOL.

Fishing was slow, we got 2 keeper eyes, and one musky follow to the boat.......plus a million dinky perch.

Thanks for the report!

Sinker

We saw you leaving the launch as we were coming in. We waved, but you didn't see us. At least I think that was you...were you with 2 other guys? You did better than we did out there that's for sure...LOL.

Sounds like another amazing weekend for you guys!

Whoah Sydney is like godly with panfish now :D ... she's so good that the perch would hold on to the tail of her grub and let her bring it up without being hooked :clapping:

She's trying a new tactic...makes it easier for live releases if you don't actually hook them.

If you were driving down the #35 at that time we were ships in the night passing each other...

We were heading home from Lake Scugog...didn't really try fishing...mostly checking out various areas and getting to know the lake (couldn't find the green bouy-several red ones on the way to Caesarea from Goreskis)...Cool and refreshing way to spend a hot afternoon...

Strangely we (like you) had roast beef, pan roasted potatoes and carrots, steamed peas and a piece of foiled wrapped salmon for Maribeth (my wife is a vegetarian) all done on the BBQ except the peas by my bro-in-law Uncle Dave...

Glad to hear you got your motor fixed...Watta guy that Big Cliff !!!

Edited by Beans