Fishing Gloves

ozaibak1

I think its time to get a fishing glove for gripping fish while cleaning them, I sliced my thumb nicely last year and found cleaning to be quite slippery this year. Anyone have recommendations on fishing gloves I can buy from BPS, Canadian Tire, or other fishing stores?

When I was looking for a filleting/live fish handling glove I looked at the Normark one that is like chainmail and the Lindy one that feels more synthetic. The Normark felt nicer on my hands but I bought the Lindy for 2 reasons:

1) The Lindy one will not let the point of the knife go through it the Normark definitely will let it (its chainmail). Same goes for fish spikes.

2) The Normark lets water flow right through it, the Lindy seems waterproof to me so there is no stinky fish smell.

forrest

Edited by forrest

I got a Lindy glove this spring. I fish alone, and my wife likes the saftey of it. Haven't told her about muskie yet. They were $20.00 at LeBaron, as opposed to $40 everywhere else. I should have grabbed one for each hand. It's a bit stiff, but I found it worked really well handling the one and only pike I've caught so far. Have not had a chance to use it filleting yet.

Keep in mind, the Lindy glove only protects the palm and edge of fingers, not the back of the hand. Meaning your still gonna get it if you hand is in the mouth of a toothy critter.

If you're just concerned about cutting yourself because of slippery fish, a decent cotton glove and a sharp well maintained blade is all you need. If it's hooks that you're worried about, all I can suggest is that you be very careful. I can't see myself out fishing alone and getting a 4-7/0 hook embedded in my hand. Some people resort to those super gloves made of kevlar and such but they are probably worse because if you ever stick yourself through the glove, you'll never be able to get the glove off ro get the hook out. In fact I'm pretty sure that most walk-in clinics aren't equipped to cut that stuff.

My opinion...take it for what it's worth.

Good point Roy I never though about that. I use the gloves to grip the big cats after catching them with a circle hook but that is only one one hook that I have to cut if I stick myself. I can see the horror of a treble hook big musky bait with 9 points to contend with as the critter shakes around. I always have on the boat a hook cutter big enough to cut the hook i am using easily so their is no twisting involved if it is stuck in me.

Art

The Lindy glove is great... Like Cranks Bait said, it's a bit stiff but seems to be getting a bit more flexible as I use it more. I bought the left and will grab the right hand this season.

It's definitely a tough glove. I've tried to push a couple of different hooks through to test it out and you really need to work them around repeatedly before the there's any penetration. No, my hand was not inside...

If you can fillet without needing to switch hands, this glove is great and well worth the price if you're a bit sloppy with a fillet knife.

:whistling:

I've got the Lindy glove for handling live fish. It's great.

For filleting, I got a pair of the Offshore Angler gloves from BPS. They look like a cotton glove with a rubber coated palm and fingers. They really seem to do the trick for me. I can grip the slimy fish and knive with ease. And they were pretty cheap too. $4 or $5 for the pair if I remember correctly.

I've had the same kevlar/steel Normark glove for almost 15 years, haven't done alot of filleting with it (don't eat alot of fish), but it is the shiznit for landing fish if you don't have a net. Really is invaluable landing fish in a canoe or tailing steelhead in rivers.

It's ambidextrous too, so you only need one to switch between hands. I've found the steel mesh grips better than other rubber or synthetic gloves I've tried.

I went to the dollar store and bought a pair of rubberized water proof work gloves. You can see the red glove that I sometimes use to hold pike as Ive stuck myself too many times with the hooks. One dollar, Im cheap but practical.robandpike2.jpg