NF Traveling to Scotland/Ireland

I am off tomorrow to Scotland & Ireland for a week. Never been! Any suggestions as to something/anything I won't want to miss? Won't have time to go fishing!DANG!!!!

Daughter is graduating form University over there and I want to be there for that, but will have a little bit of time I'm sure.

Is there any great fishing store I could visit in the Glasgowor Edinburgh areas? Am REALLY excited to see some REAL castles etc and maybe a few PINTS as well. LOL

Any assistance will be gratefully accepted.

Thanks

FT

Never got to Scotland but I spent some time in Ireland in the mid 60's and it's an absolutely gorgeous country and you should enjoy your time there.

Most of my time was in the dockyards of Belfast, but it's definetely a city you should try & visit if you have the time. Very old and beautiful buildings with a lot of history attached to them and the people are as friendly as your gonna find anywhere.

Fortunately, my time there was before the real serious trouble started with the IRA and I understand alot of the places I'm familiar with are no longer there, but it would probably still be worth your time to plan a visit.

That's a statue of King Billy on top of the building in downtown Belfast

Cnv0082.jpg

And this is me (on your right) & a bud in 1964 heading out on the town to check out a few of the pubs Belfast used to be so famous for......ask the barkeep for a pint of skrumpy ;)

Cnv0081.jpg

Edited by lew

I have not been since I was a kid.....Edinburgh castle is a tourist trap, but, you know they did some beheadings there and it was built for old tyme war.

The old streets of Leith were very cool...but that was 20 years ago, things may have changed. Glasgow kinda blew.

Buy candies....lots of candies and chocolate!

forrest

Spent a lot of time in Ireland and some in Scotland. Where are you starting i'e where is your daughter graduating from? Let me know and maybe I can fill in some of the spots.

Great thing about Ireland is you can cover a lot of it in a short time. One question how will you be traveling from/to Scotland and Ireland?

I am off tomorrow to Scotland & Ireland for a week. Never been! Any suggestions as to something/anything I won't want to miss? Won't have time to go fishing!DANG!!!!

Here is a link to a small castle. I went with the wife and kids a few years ago. You can go on a tour throughout the entire castle. It may be a bit out of your way thought.

There are a bunch of good museums in Glasgow that are worth a visit if thats what your into. Heres a link for those.

And no trip to Scotland would be complete without stopping in at Ibrox or the Rangers Shop!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Pinch

Guest lundboy

Blair castle, whiskey trail, any of the Hebrides, and of course Glamis Castle... All Scotland.

Trinity College-Book of Kells in Dublin, Giant's Causeway, make sure to visit any outlying county... All Ireland

In Edinbourgh(SP), must see the WHISKY Museum....

Visit ANY distillery in Scotland and see the differences in the whiskys.

My son was a university there and told me and brought me whisky ---Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm single malt.....

David aka Superdad