Rod building questions

kickingfrog

So I've pretty well made up my mind to try and build my own fishing rod (I know I should wait for early winter, but my timing has never been spot on). I have tons of newbie questions.

I could jump in with both feet, but I'm more of a one step at a time on the ladder type of guy, when it comes to this stuff. I've looked at the rod kits that Cabela's has and think I'll start there (but open to more local suggestions).

The main questions I have are: What is the minimum "bench" equipment that I need to get started? I'm thinking in the way of rod holders/turners? Do I really need a motor if I'm not sure about this new endeavour?

What are some of the mistakes that first timers make?

Thanks for the help.

You can wind on the guides using a cardboard box with two "V's" cut in the open top edge to support the blank and the GTA phone book to tension the tread. Google for a rod building site. I have forgotten the name but it's sort of lake an OFC for rod makers.

You can wind on the guides using a cardboard box with two "V's" cut in the open top edge to support the blank and the GTA phone book to tension the tread. Google for a rod building site. I have forgotten the name but it's sort of lake an OFC for rod makers.

Sounds like a good way to start. Anybody got an old GTA phone book their not using? ;) Maybe I'll just use two Barrie ones.

....A small lathe for curing the epoxy winding finish is essential in my opinion. An old BBQ rotisserie motor works well.

I'd also be more than happy to help you at all or any stage of the building process via PM's. :)

I built about a dozen custom rods and I would just wind them by hand (no cardboard v's) but like they have already mentioned use a phone book to run you thread thru using a bobbin.

Now for forming the handle here is a neat and FAST way. Make your own lathe using a drill motor. Just take a pencil or drill bit and add some duct tape to it so it fits well into the rod blank. Then clamp motor into your vise and on the other end use a cardboard box with a hole thru it for the tip end but MAKE sure you but some tape on the rod blank that will ride thru the cardboard box or you will burn the finish off the blank. Now you only need some rough and smooth sand paper to shape the cork handle the way you like. This only takes minutes and you get a real nice round handle with this method.

I gave up rod building when everyone said I was more expensive then buying a store bought graphite rod and they were right :)

....A small lathe for curing the epoxy winding finish is essential in my opinion. An old BBQ rotisserie motor works well.

I'd also be more than happy to help you at all or any stage of the building process via PM's. :)

How low do I keep the flames on the BBQ??? ;)

You may regret the offer of advise via pm's, but I'm sure I'll be in touch soon.

• 2 weeks later...

it's definitely not cheaper on average, but it can be if you don't get picky and choose parts based on minimizing cost. If anything, your rods will get more and more expensive as you become more confident becuase there's not much point in putting on mediocre parts when you have the option to use whatever you want.

It's easy to make a working rod, but it's not easy to make a well crafted rod. tons of pitfalls. Eventually, you can walk into a store, pick up a factory rod, even a topshelf rod, and spot a dozen mistakes or glitches in workmanship within a minute. And I mean any factory rod including $500+ rods. Most commonly, you'll find problems in the thread work, bulges or messy epoxy work, too much filler in the cork handle, seats that don't line up with the handle. You'll also come to recognize parts and wonder what's going on, like when you see a $200 casting rod with a $8 set of guides and a poorly fitted no-name seat with a wobbly hood..

I betcha you could use my handy dandy home-made carp pod for a rod holder...you only need two bank sticks, a 5 foot piece of 2" x 6", a 1/2 inch drill/spade bit and some screws/nails...

I built it for fishing off cement sidewalls of dams or off docks (Big Cliff is not fond of me drilling holes in his dock for my bank sitcks... :whistling: )

Here are a couple of pics...one with just bank sticks and the other with my buzzer set-up...

Once you get too frustrated trying to build rods and pack it in...you can take up carp fishing... :wallbash:

Edited by Beans

Once you get too frustrated trying to build rods and pack it in...you can take up carp fishing... :wallbash:

Seems to me there's enuf free time whilst waiting fer the carp bell to ring that one could do a full rod assembly by the riverbank. I fear I'll need some diversion to keep me awake. The MNR frowns on me chucking lures for bass while I wait for the carp so I might as well be building a rod.

JF