length v.s width

allbusiness

Hey everyone,

I'm looking into buying my first aluminum fishing boat, I've only had experience on the water before with larger sailboats and have never been on an aluminum boat before.

I was wondering how much does the width of the boat affect the stability v.s the length of the boat?

e.g: would a 15' boat with an 80" beam be more stable on rough water than a 17' boat with a 70" beam?

also what is the smallest size boat you would recommend for georgian bay/st. clair/simcoe?

again I don't have a lot of experience with aluminum boats so any feedback/opinons would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Allbusiness.

I just downsized from an 18 1/2 foot tinny 73 inches wide.

My new boat is 16.2 but has an 84 beam so far I don't see much of a difference just the new boat is heavier I would have to say the new width higher sides and deeper hull make it just as good as my 18 footer in big waves.

I have a friend who has the same boat as my new 16 footer and I felt very safe in 3 to 4 foot waves.

So I know my new one will serve me well I am yet to see something more than 3 foot chop.

:Gonefishing:

I have a 17 foot SmokerCraft, actual length like 16'8" with like a 72 inch beam. Older boat(1987) and narrow compared to todays models. Lot of time on Lake Erie, some on the Georgian Bay, inland lakes in Ohio, PA, New York, there are days when I haven`t gone on Lake Erie when I had my 25 foot cruiser, others when it was no problem going over to the Erie island area with the smaller boat. Good judgment can trump a bigger wider boat. Wider boat generally more stable.

My last boat was 16' 8" with a 72" beam.

Newer boat is 16' with an 83" beam.

There is no comparison as far as stability, the wider the better. Although a little bit slower, the added stability (and roominess) of a wide beam is well worth it.

My regular fishing partner is a pretty big guy (well not that pretty), 280 lbs or so. In my old boat, if he would lean over to pick up a rod, tackle box, whatever, he would darn near pitch me off the boat if I wasn't paying attention. In the new boat, he could be dancing a jig and the boat hardly rocks at all.