Lowrance sonar

BFSC Kevin

Hey guys,

well I finally took out my boat for a test run on the weekend and I couldn\t quite figure out what was on the sonar screen.

the gps works fine.

Is something is up with my transducer?I mounted it wrong?

I was in too shallow with too much weeds?

When I moved out to deeper waters, like 20ft+ I could see the bottom but couldn't see any hooks.. maybe I should've taken a picture!...

well I guess I'll do that next time I head out. but in the meantime, can anyone shed some light?

oh and its the lowrance x25c

thanks

DSCN2160.JPG

If you were in shallow water with lots of weeds and the power turned up it will look something like that.

And the reason you seen no "hooks" is because you were not over fish. They are not everywhere but I wish they were :)

Hey Kevin, not sure what the problem is but you can always take the unit into Lowrance (919 Matheson Blvd Dixie and 401 area) and have them check it out. Or 1- 800- 661- 3983 they might be able help you out on the phone.

It is difficult to take a picture of a tv crt display, as the camera captures the picture raster which scans left to right, from the bottom to the top, but in your case, they are captured as vertical bars going from right to left.

its tft display

Guest lundboy

Looks like it's in 50kHz mode by the bottom of the screen. 50kHz has a hard time in shallow water. (Do you even have a 50kHz transducer attached?). From what I can tell by the specs of the unit, it doesn't do 50kHz!

Try putting it in 200kHz mode it may fix your problem. 50kHz is mainly used for salt water applications.

Edited by lundboy

Looks like it's in 50kHz mode by the bottom of the screen. 50kHz has a hard time in shallow water. (Do you even have a 50kHz transducer attached?).

Try putting it in 200kHz mode it may fix your problem. 50kHz is mainly used for salt water applications.

has both, 200 and 50.

note: this is the first time using such a high techie sonar.. I fiddled with the emulator from the lowrance site but still ALOT to learn..

Guest lundboy
has both, 200 and 50.

note: this is the first time using such a high techie sonar.. I fiddled with the emulator from the lowrance site but still ALOT to learn..

The picture definitely shows 50kHz mode.

Well if you do have a dual frequency transducer attached, change the mode to 200kHz for any fresh water upto about 300 ft. 50kHz is poor for shallow water and the cone angle is quite a bit smaller than the 200kHz mode.

The dual frequency transducer part number is below, I don't think it will be printed on the transducer so it might be hard to verify which one you have:

HST-DFSBL Part #106-77

Go here to get the manual if you don't already have it:

http://www.lowrance.com/upload/Lowrance/Do...-311_030705.pdf

Edited by lundboy

well... i just jumped in the boat and played around, i had it on 50 and 200, so then i changed it to 200 and now it looks more normal...

i think the problem is now fixed, :whistling: just gotta get back on the water to verify that all is well

thanks all for your input!