Dugout Lake SK

holdfast

This weekend I decided to leave the Boat at the Trailer and try this Lake that my Neighbor said that had big Pike and Walleye in. Apparently he was saying some Trapper introduced the walleye into the lake. Neighbor said he caught a six pound walleye but he wasn't sure if they were reproducing. he figures it was the Trappers stocked fish he may of caught. So I took the canoe in case of poor road and launch sites. In the end it was a good move.

http://www.touratel.com/

Dugout Lake I would figure is at least an hours drive off the main logging Road and who knows how long off the beaten trail

So I loaded up the canoe and some gear roughly 3 PM Saturday. The day was sunny and the winds were calm

100_0022.jpg

The drive is beautiful as I am in the heart of Logging Country. Big River is a Logging Community however the Mill has been shutdown for three years now. Water property was selling for 15 thousand two years ago, I could of and should of bought a house for 25 thousand but opted for the mobile for 9. Housing has gone up and the rich Albertans are driving prices up now. Too many red plates if you ask me driving up prices.

100_0060.jpg

I finally found the lake thanks to my GPS and map reading. My GPS readings were up to 400 meters from any road leaving me to believe the map is inaccurate. Yup I had the right Map Datum. I only used the GPS just to see where I was on the map as its a killer on the batteries and I may need it at night. Too many trails. I just hope I dont meet any banjo playing, Pig loving strangers.

100_0026.jpg

So I unloaded my gear. Full Tackle Box, Lip Balm, Bug Juice, Map & compass, GPS, Light and Medium Rods, anchor, and Pack with water some clothes and Binos, snacks.

100_0024.jpg

There's a small but extremely steep trail to the Lake. With the paddling and pulling the canoe back up the trail was a good workout

100_0025.jpg

What a beautiful small lake. Kind of wondered if there really would be any large fish. but it'll be fun to find out... There is no way I want to get in trouble as there wasn't a soul around, and probably wont be.

100_0032.jpg

But there is a good sign as somebody at one time was cleaning fish on this piece of plywood for a make shift table. I also wondered if maybe the natives were here netting, as they can easily get in here thanks to the roads and trails that have been opened up due to logging. Its known out here that the lakes that have been or are netted, the fishing has collapsed. Its a sad fact whether we like it or not.

100_0033.jpg

These are the lures that Ill try first. Medium sinking Rapala and my favorite, a large perch pattern Floating Rapala. Its never let me down. Great for trolling and casting. Later Ill try a large Jig that I believe had a good size walleye follow.

100_0034.jpg

Oh know! Rats on board again. Well I'm not totally alone. She loves the outdoors, but I cant help think that shes Bear bait and id be in the way. I had to grab her one time when two foxes decided to test her once camping.

100_0036.jpg

My third small Pike. Trying to get decent pictures in the canoe proved to be frustrating. With the wind and only a 15 second timer and a dog that moves in the wrong direction, well these are the best photos I could come up with

100_0037.jpg

In this photo, there is a small white speck on the shoreline left of centre. I was quietly casting when I looked at shore and seen this huge Grey wolf drinking water. The distance was a lot closer that what the photo shows. Id say I was 40 meters from shore and my heart was pounding. The wolf stared for a good 15 seconds moved along the shore in line of us the stared at me or the dog again before slowly disappearing. Ive seen Wolves in Algonquin but only while driving and this thing was huge. My heart was pounding like crazy and barely got a picture. That made my day. I want a better camera for fathers day. Hint

100_0044.jpg

This was the best pike of the day which gave me decent fight. I ended on sure not far from the wolf thanks to the wind. I wasn't keen on staying there too long. You'll noticed that this Pike has an injury. My guess another Pike or talons as I doubt that there are too many if any motor boats.

100_0045.jpg

I figured Id do one more run as the wind was getting too strong for trolling. I really wished I had brought bait as I would of loved to see what would bite while anchored. It got to be a bother fighting the wind all the time.

One last small pike before heading back.

100_0052.jpg

Well it was about 8 Pm and decided to pack up before dark. I lost the dog for about ten minutes as she scooted up the trail. I thought if I don't get the rat home I wouldn't be married and she would of never believed that I lost the dog sober. I found her eventually.

100_0049.jpg

I drove a couple of hundred meters and found this other beautiful lake called Baxter. It was calm, go figure and had a rugged boat launch. It was a Gem

100_0057.jpg

100_0055.jpg

The Beauty of it is there is a crude camping area. Not a soul, a perfect place to camp with solitude, good fishing, and FREE

100_0054.jpg

Next time if the weather is good I will take the boat to Hackett Lake to fish Walleye. I have my depth finder which will help. I had my daughter with me Last year and had the best Pickeral fishing of my life, using dead minnows with a sinker and hook. Till next time

Edited by holdfast

Another very nice report Holdfast. That second lake and camping area sure does look like a gem.

Give us a report after you give that one a go. I'll bet its holding some great fish.

Nice pike too, and Rat is a cutie.

Joey

Nice fishing trip/report !!!!..great scenery & pics too, :whistling::clapping: well it looks like you found a nice lake to fish again,and maybe next time you will get some walleyes & have a shore launch too,so let me know and ill be right there !!..lol..lol.. :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: