Help - Merc service

forrest

Having a bit of trouble dropping the lower end of my 40HP merc (2007) and need help:

-removed the vent screws

-removed the 4 visible bolts off

-removed the nut under the trim plate

-put the engine in neutral (I was told this did not matter)

-the prop end of the lower case drops a few mm but the front end seems locked in good

-gave a little love tap with a mallet to loosen it up a bit (thats how the back part freed up).

-Mercury manual is STILL on order...I am not happy about that....so I am stuck without one right now.

What now?

forrest

You thought it was a good idea to do this without a manual because...?

Your options as I see them:

1. reassemble and wait for the manual

2. beat the snot out it with the mallet and see if it drops off

3. hope someone here is familiar with the disassembly of your particular unit

4. take it to a qualified service technician

5. leave it as is and hope the good motor fairies come fix it overnight while you sleep.

What exactly are you trying to fix on your motor? The impeller?

Just a wild guess, but try rotating the prop shaft and wiggling the lower unit to see if this may free up the gears to let the unit drop.

I've heard reassembly can be difficult as well.

Edited by Greencoachdog

Doing a little cosmetic work on the skeg :whistling:

You thought it was a good idea to do this without a manual because...?

I always buy the manual.....Merc parts take a few days to come in but Mercury happens to think that people don't need a manual so a 4 week wait time for one should be acceptable. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

I would certainly be putting it back on with the use of a manual. Loose bolts and over torquing are no fun for piece of equipment. But as for taking it apart

everyone said...thats easy! Just undo a few bolts and... :blahblah1::wallbash:

Just a wild guess, but try rotating the prop shaft and wiggling the lower unit to see if this may free up the gears to let the unit drop.

That was the first thing I tried....no go. Then again I was being delicate.

Your options as I see them:

1. reassemble and wait for the manual

2. beat the snot out it with the mallet and see if it drops off

3. hope someone here is familiar with the disassembly of your particular unit

4. take it to a qualified service technician

5. leave it as is and hope the good motor fairies come fix it overnight while you sleep.

I think I was going for #3 "hope someone here is familiar with that particular unit"

I need a wiseman here....not a wise guy :lol: but the tips on caution are always welcome....so far I have not lost my cool or forced anything so I am good.

forrest

Edited by forrest

I am not sure about that motor but. Does it have a small cover plate above the cavitation plate? On some motors you have to open this cover plate and undo the shifter linkage.

I was looking but did not see one....this is the first outboard I have worked on but I suspect that you are heading in the right direction about the shift linkage glen.....

"just loosen the bolts on the bottom end and it will come loose" :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

forrest

Maybe a couple pics could help us understand your plight a little better forrest. ;)

OK this is what I have so far....I think it may help:

The red,white and green circles I suspect that they may be the solution and are only on this side of the motor but will not touch them until I know they are:

top one is an allen bolt.

the bottom is a regular bolt.....(I really do like reading the service manuals so many mysteries, they are better than books)

The yellow circles are where I took out visible lower end bolts...there were 2 more on the opposite side.

The blue circle is for the nut under the trim plate.

forrest

10e.jpg

Edited by forrest

I had a problem with my 40 hp four stroke Merc and these guys were a great help.

http://www.themarinedoctor.com/

It's a site like OFC except it is for boats and motors.

Good Luck, let us know how you do.

SS

OK I will give it a shot and report back.

No amount of home bonding will do. A skeg protector is a no go on this job. Weld is the only way. I was a sad sad sad man when it happened.

forrest

I had a problem with my 40 hp four stroke Merc and these guys were a great help.

http://www.themarinedoctor.com/

It's a site like OFC except it is for boats and motors.

Good Luck, let us know how you do.

SS

thanks.

I posted and got a response from the administrator. There was a video on the board......sounds like a dowel is a bit stiff, I just need to apply a bit more pressure. Wish me luck!

forrest

drive shaft can get stuck in the crank shaft as well be sure to put a dab of grease on the end when ya stick it back in there,give it a few gentle taps around the perimeter with a rubber mallet

Edited by 2 Tone Z71

good advice guys, that's what I was leaning toward is the spline/coupler for the gearshift was holding you up..try changing gears and see if the unti drops a little more to get access to a screw driver or allen nut to lossen off the spline..I also have a 40 Merc..fortunately it's only 5 years old and haven't had any problems with it ever..but have removed the lower unit on smaller motors before, only trouble I had putting back together was making sure the gears still engaged afterward(put back together my 9.9 once and discovered I only had forward and nuetral :unsure: )..after taking it back aprt and some goofing around it wasn't too hard to figure out.

Lower unit removed!

All it needed was a little bit more oomph in the mallet blow (used a wood piece to direct blow).

fishinfools weblink: http://www.themarinedoctor.com/ is a good one, they had a great video on LU removal.

Shift linkages: for Evinrudes and Johnsons they have to be disconnected up by the power head and can be located in some funky areas (get specifics). Mercs do not have to be disconnected.

thanks to everyone who replied...all good stuff. I will be sure to need some of it when putting it back on.

forrest