Haliburton Rainbow trout Report - Pic

Slayingm

With the Walleye opener out of the way I was finally able to get up to my cabin in the Haliburton's and fish a couple of Rainbow lakes. Unlike racing around the lake in the Stratos bassboat I look forward to the tranquillity and beauty that 100's of the small trout lakes in this area offers.

I took up my 14ft square stern SportsPal with electric trolling motor which is ideal for these lakes and is 'stealth' quiet so you don't spook the fish. The weather was not exactly great as it was cool and rained for 1/2 the day but I was warm and prepared for anything. With the water temps still very cold and the fronts that were moving through the past couple of days I figured the fishing would be tough... and it was. We actually hit 2 different lakes the same day and went 1 for 3 (Big fish for this lake) on the first lake and 3 for 5 on the second lake. The fish were just not active and most of the hits were a lite 'bump' from behind the lure while trolling. In a couple of cases we actually had the missed fish on for a few cranks of the reel before they came off and the ones boated were all hooked in the top corner of the mouth.... but just!.

All fish were caught trolling expect for 1 that hit a #1 Blue Fox in-line spinner. The other lures that worked were a very small gang-troll and fly and a small kwik-fish. I found that most of the fish I marked on the electronics were suspending in 7 to 15' over 25 to 40' of water.

Here is a pic of a 4lb beauti that is the biggest I have taken yet in the one small lake.

051008RainbowR.jpg

Be safe and Good Fish'n.... Greg.

Guest Johnny Bass

Nice Trout. Never seen a rainbow that dark. I would have thought it was a brown or something.

I just noticed...Your member # 666. :blink: lol