Skyway bridge

Mattones

Has anyone fished by the Skyway lift bridge in the hammer? I went down there today and fished off one of the piers leading to lake O for two hours. I will be heading back tomorrow morning since Bronte seems a little dead by Dundas.

If so what have you caught before?

When I was just a kid (like 5 yrs old) my dad used to take me down there. From what I remember, he caught salmon, browns, bows and the odd walleye. But that was a long time ago and I'm pretty sure he just fished in the fall.

Took my son there tonight, actually had a trout follow my lure right to the pier and come out of the water as I pulled the lure out of the water. Didn't get it, but was fun to watch. You can catch rainbows, browns, and lake trout there, as well as salmon. Was talking to one of the smelters a few days ago and he would see the trout/salmon cruising back and forth eating up baitfish. Good luck.

Took my son there tonight, actually had a trout follow my lure right to the pier and come out of the water as I pulled the lure out of the water. Didn't get it, but was fun to watch. You can catch rainbows, browns, and lake trout there, as well as salmon. Was talking to one of the smelters a few days ago and he would see the trout/salmon cruising back and forth eating up baitfish. Good luck.

Yah what time were you there at? I was there from 7-9ish. What area of the pier were you at?

Bronte is a long way from Dundas...

Bronte is at Oakville, the Hwy 25 interchange if you're on the QEW.

I always called it 16 Mile Creek until a member here told me it was bronte lol.

Edited by Mattones

Used to fish here quite often in the spring and fall. Still do sometimes.

I found this area good for especially browns and salmon.

In the spring you could catch 3-5lb coho quite regularly, don't know how it is for them now since they quit stocking them.

Burt :)

From ice-out till late May you get mainly carp and some rainbows, plus the odd brown, coho and lake trout. Cleos, or spawn under a float, are most dependable. By the end of May there will be lots of carp, including some really huge ones.

There's pretty good fishing for sheephead off the Lake Ontario end of the piers through the summer. You'll get them on Cleos, Rattle Traps and Shad Raps. Most are about 3 - 5 pounds and they're a lot of fun on a bass rod.

By the end of August you start to get some chinooks show up at night. Rainbows, browns and lakers return by October and stick around through the winter.

You can catch pretty much anything there -- smallmouth, pike, white bass, you name it. You'll need a net with an extension handle, as the water is about five feet below the top of the pier.

Garry2rs;

I think you and I were thinking the same.

Bronte is a long way from Dundas...

Bronte is at Oakville, the Hwy 25 interchange if you're on the QEW.

Were we both thinking he was referring to the town of Dundas? I think he must be talking about #5 HWY which some refer to as "Dundas St." In my mind "Dundas St." is still known as #5 HWY.

Mattones; you are probably getting the old wooden pier that runs along side the concrete pier on the Hamilton side of the canal. That structure on the bottom of the lake has ownership of many Little Cleos and a host of other spoons and lures.

Edited by pikehunter