TROUT OPENER!

highdrifter

Mind you, better late than never... Finally had some time to myself and thought I'd share a few pics of our weekend. It's been a good year for us, and from the great reads we've had on the board lately, so have a lot of us! A good load of snow this winter kept the tribs high and no rain prior to opener kept the water nice and clear.. A late spring kept them in the rivers long enough for us to reap the benefits when opener came around. The fish kept deep and we trecked like madmen to find them, but when we did find em, oh boy.. :rolleyes:

Now I say us because I had the opportunity to spend it with Billy-Curtiss, a new ofner and good budday of mine, whom I invited to join me on this year's expedition. Prompted by recent night fishing reports (thanx CCMT), I had the brilliant plan to spend the night out in the bush at my favourite trib, fish her throughout the night and catch her at first light, hopefully with water tinted chrome. He said he was down, provided I would get him into his first steel... A tall order(you never know nawadays), but a firm bet, provided he was kewl with the journey he was about to undertake :canadian:

Had the gear by the door ready for when I got home after work Friday, pole stringed up, fresh jar of bagged roe in the frigo (Telly's secret brown trout roe, shaweeet), met up with BC and booked it for Lucid's place to pick up an extra pair of waders, and we were off.

Got to the trib around 1ish, made our way by head light to the first prime run where I figured we'd spend the better part of the night. This time of year, we're at the tail end of the run, fishing mostly drop-backs. I hoped to intercept some of these fish as they finned their way back to lake O under the cover of darkness.

Anywho, we musta worked that hole for 2 hours.. nada.. zilch, save a couple pesky shinners.. It became apparent that the hole was either void of trout, or they had a serious case of lock-jaw. We cleared a small area by the trib, curled up in our waders, and awaited morning. :canadian:

We woke up a around 6am to the sing song of robins and all kinds of song birds, all trying to sing louder than the other.. So we stuck it out till it was light enough to fish and kept making our way up river.

It wasn't until around 8am that we finally found em.. A stretch of water that I was privy to have first seen with FHR. The show me the money hole. First drift, float gone, fish on. Booyah!

A pertty female..

gallery_439_66_97347.jpg

Second fish, a male.. a slight momentary lapse of concsiousness on my part. I was running on adrenaline then.

gallery_439_66_77644.jpg

This boy musta had no issues hooking it up..

gallery_439_66_104103.jpg

And so on... Seems the trout we're hungry, they ate everything we presented to them.

Red worms, roe, flies, spinners... they all got a snifter.

BC was working a shorter rod, so working a float rig was darn near impossible. He switched it up to a spinner, a bright red blue fox. Nice move. First cast, BANG, fish on! Ah but it was all over in 30 sec... the anguish.. Right back at er though. Second cast, BB-BAAAM, Billy's first steelhead.. :thumbsup_anim:

gallery_439_66_31833.jpg

We worked the run for about a couple hours... It was stacked.. Problem is with a creek this small, the fish would get skittish and would turn off, so we'd let the hole sit for a bit.. Ultimately, trout are fish, with weee brains.. hunger would turn them on again...

gallery_439_66_143772.jpg

Nothing real big, but soo scrappy!!

gallery_439_66_176703.jpg

Most we're very fresh, having just booted up stream to spawn, only to make a hasty retreat back to the lake, all within a few days.

A beauty little female. There was a male nudging her rumpuss throughout the battle! :whistling:

gallery_439_66_35725.jpg

A nice oos smallie. Billy looking a little concerned..

gallery_439_66_207261.jpg

T

his one had a bit of a malformation.. Nice kicks BC! Globes?

gallery_439_66_14618.jpg

Around 10ish, we happened to look downstream and we noticed some anglers working a run below us.. I kinda knew what they were thinking, and we decided we'd let them have a turn also. Just as we were leaving, one of them showed up and thanked us. If you're reading this, I hope you hooked into a few. My heart would have sank too if I'd have shown up at my favourite hole.. just a tad too late. :wallbash:

What a great morning on the trib.. More fish lost than beached, but wow, talk about spunky, all the while weary and very alert. Couple that with the sights and sounds of spring. Such is trout fishing!

Billy, I feel priviledged. Glad I could share it with you. I see ''annual tradition'' written all over that.

Part 2 to come...

Thanx for reading

HD

Nice! Great report Fidel! Good to see ya had a great opener. I'm on my way out the door to do an all nite yak trip. You should come down for the fourth of July. Lots of fishing, Lots of boozin' !!! I talked to Count Dougula the other day. He's looking into coming down around then too....

FHR

Edited by FishHeadRic

Billy tells me that you two had to spoon to keep warm.

Looks like it'll be "kill Bill" time soon since he knows all our best spots. Shame, nice guy.

It's amazing how much better the fishing improves when you trespass. Looks like you didn't eat all the marshmellows the night before!

Pathetic.

Billy tells me that you two had to spoon to keep warm.

Looks like it'll be "kill Bill" time soon since he knows all our best spots. Shame, nice guy.

It's amazing how much better the fishing improves when you trespass. Looks like you didn't eat all the marshmellows the night before!

Pathetic.

Oohhh you poor, depraved, little man... You're just bummed cause Moma didn't let you come out and play.

Billy is sworn to secrecy, he won't give you nothing, no matter how much you butter him up.

Trespassing? That's a larf. The only trespassing I've ever done is through your flower patch, marking my territory.

GNNAAWWWW

HD

OH, and MARSHMELLOWS FOREVER BABY!!

Prompted by recent night fishing reports (thanx CCMT), I had the brilliant plan to spend the night out in the bush at my favourite trib,

Fantastic report!! But sorry the night time thing didn't work out too well....I feel a little bad that you got there at 1am and had no fish!!

Some awesome pics there and lots of fish...sounded like a great opener for sure!

One thing about those trout at night....a little detail...I fish for them at the top of a run...when they rest in a pool before they shoot up to the next one.

Again...great report...congrats all around!

One thing about those trout at night....a little detail...I fish for them at the top of a run...when they rest in a pool before they shoot up to the next one.

Again...great report...congrats all around!

thanx CCMT!! This hole didn't yield one trout for me... guess the bottom structure must have changed and the run must have increased in speed or something.. I'll keep that in mind.

cheers

HD

Stop PM'ing me.

I warned you not to post. Poacher.

Not sure what my next move is.

Glad I left when I did.

Billy will realize what a tiny man you are. (figuratively, not literally)

Stop PM'ing me.

I warned you not to post. Poacher.

Not sure what my next move is.

Glad I left when I did.

Billy will realize what a tiny man you are. (figuratively, not literally)

Dems fighting words Ms Brooks. You've over-stepped it for the last time. I'm coming after you.

Also, you're not fooling anybody by catching OOS pikes and posting them when the season is open.

BASS-TURD.

HD

Edited by Highdrifter