Corn Snake for pet?

danbo

Well make sure you have the right equipment to start off with..what are you using as a tank/pen? what kind of top do you have for it? Do you have the needed lights and a heat source so the snake can warm itself? do you have materials so the snake can hide itself?

as for size.... I would start off with a smaller snake... and get him longer and fatter... this is really the only learn feeding habits etc.. Also There are a ton of great books on how to care for snakes.. I might still have a couple.. I will take a look and let you know..

depending on the type of snake you get... you could wind up feeding him anything from mice to rabbits.... you will need a method to also care for these... I kept Mice.. just for this purpose...

Just a few things to think about..

I will let you know if I can find my books.

G

Thanx Gerritt. I figure a Corn Snake to start.

I've got a 36" x 18 x 12" aquarium from Brian(Slowpoke)

I've got to get some Reptile Bark & the heat lamp. The top & light came with it.

I can make hideouts & use tupperware for water/bathing dishes. Driftwood for shedding,etc.

I live close to a shop for food too.

Never kept any snakes long term, big fat garter snake in dad`s favorite minnow bucket. Dad went fishing, with the empty bucket, LOL dude at the bait store got bent when he opened it and a snake jumped out.

3 ribbon snakes, probably the same bucket, LOL in the basement of our two family home in Cleveland, grandma and Gramps upstairs and didn`t speak much English. Grandma didn`t have too, the tone implied cursing at the snakes loose in the basement. Found two out of three.

I haven't had a corn in over 5 years but here I go.

Starting off with a baby is always the best thing to do in my opinion. Reason being is that you learn different things.

If you do decide to go with a baby, you want a smaller cage ( they feel more secure ) The cage you've got now is somewhat borderline, but don't worry, breeders keep them in smaller rubbermaids :)

Feeding... frozen is better ( arguable ) and if you do decide to use your substrate ( Repti bark or whatever it is you said you purchased ) make sure the during feeding you move the snake out of the enlosure ( could swallow a chunk of substrate and choke ).

Uhhhmmmm, in terms of temperatures and humidity, do a google search and get an average off of 3 - 4 sites.

Heat lamp will work for heating.

These snakes are great starter reptiles. If you want something exotic you can go with a ball python.

I'm missing a tonne of stuff ( mainly procedures and do's and don'ts ) but I don't have 45 minutes to type it all out. If you ever have any questions, lemme know. I can help you out with all your questions.

Oh ya, and corns come in various colors to, so there is lots of patterns and color to choose from ( same with ball pythons but balls have big price tags ).

Anyways, speaking of animals, gotta go tend the needs of my in home zoo :)

i have a corn snake right now, very easy to take care of unless they get sick. DONT USE WOOD CHIPS OR REPTILE BARK, when my corn swallowed a little wood chip it cost lots, the vet told me to use astro turf, for humidity have a cave or something along that line and put in moss from the pet store and moisten it every couple days, feed it frozen mice, after eating about three days later give the snake a bath in the bathtub, it helps moisturize the scales, helps shed, and also helps with constipation. keep the cage anywhre from 85-90 0F. when the snake gets bigger make sure the lid is secure, mine got out a few weeks ago, pushed thru two gueness book of records. hope this helps alitte

snake.JPG

I've got 2 california king snakes and 1 snow corn. Corns are probably the best all around snake to keep and don't require any special lights other than a heat lamp at one end of your tank to keep warm and a cooler end for it to escape the heat if needed. Make sure the tank or enclosure has a escape proof lid. They are experts at getting out of the smallest of openings. The substrate I use is aspen shavings. Stay away from cedar or pine as these have oils in the chips which will cause respiratory problems. Coconut bark is ok too as is news paper. For feeding, have a separate place to feed them. It can be a rubbermaid bin another tank or even a box, but watch them so they don't climb out. When you feed them out of it's home, they tend to not get as excited when it comes to feeding time and it also keeps them from ingesting any wood chips too. There is a reptile show coming up in Mississsauga on Courtney park road on June 13 th ( I think it's that date) and you can choose from a wide variety of sub species of corns. Okeetee's are thge most colourful as are naturals. Any corns that have red eyes such as snows, albino's lavendars are light sensitive and will hide out of site all day until it's dark as they are mostly nocturnal. Check out this site for more info

www.kingsnake.com

Get the largest tank you can fit it. A 30 gallon will do fine, but when they get full grown wihch can be up to 5 feet, that tank will get small. The reptile show also has plenty of used tanks and lids you can get for almost nothing. Good luck.

Edited by Jigatollah