CRAP! Boat flooded

Okay so I just took off my 'water-proof' winter cover to find a foot of water in the boat. Don't know how long it has been there for...likely about 3 weeks or so. I've taken out everything I can and am letting it dry. I assume boats are meant to get wet and it will be okay..but is there anything I should do to mitigate damage?

The drain was plugged up hence it not draining through the bilge.

Boat is a 2007 Smokercraft 15 ft with floors. Rear battery was submerged as was the power head for the electric trolling motor.

Whats the floor made of Rick? Air it out it should be fine. Not much wood in any boats anymore, but still keep an eye out for any intruding white mold. If you see it, get rid of it right away, dont use bleach or ammonia though, as it only works temporarily.

Just airing it out should be fine, your battery should be fine though. I had my submerged for the season unknown to me, 2 years have gone by and its fine.

Hope it works out for ya!

Take the trolling motor apart and let'er dry. Then clean up any corroded connections. Have done this a few times. I wouldn't run it.

But if you got some extra $$$ get it checked out just to be safe.

Edited by Dan Bouck

I used to work on video camera boards: fresh water only screwed up ribbon connectors or if the board was submerged with power on. Make sure it is thoroughly dry....a low temp hair dryer would work if you want to make absolutely sure. Just dry it out and start it up.

Home Depot sells Concrobium, its supposed to be non-toxic and is great for mold. Its $10 for a windex sized spray bottle.

good luck!

I don't know if your livewell and/or bilge pump froze, but you may want to check them. I had the same thing happen to me one year and when it froze it 'sploded the livewell pump.

Calcium chloride is excellent for absorbing moisture and you can buy little tubs of it at Wal-Mart and Home Depot to put in you storage compartments to help dry them out.

Lots of sunshine and wind will dry it the best.

Hey Rick the same thing happened to me---I bought the cover new last summer and it seemed to repel the water great.

Last fall I ran a board from my outboard to the front casting deck to make a ridge for winter storage hoping it would help runoff.

Long story short when we took the cover off---I had a new wading pool.--I take my batteries out in the fall so that was'nt an issue but there was mold on the carpet.

Next fall I'm getting one of those portable enclosures.

I also have a smokercraft (Pro Mag)--maybe it's a Sylvan curse

Bushart

If you need to store your boat outside for the winter, alot of the marinas will shrinkwrap it for you and it could save alot of worry over the downtime it's sitting under the snow.

I don't know the prices but a couple years back Bridgenorth Tackle (in Bridgenorth) told me he'd do a 16 footer for $150 but that could ceretainly have changed since then.

Another good option for winter storage is barns. I keep my boat safe & dry in a barn north of Peterboro and only pay $150 for the whole winter. There's no heat of course, but it's nice to know it's not sitting under 3' of snow.

There's not nearly as much space between the wall boards as appears in the picture, it's just the way the light is shining thru, but it gives an idea of some very cheap storage options that are available.

Cnv1635.jpg

Edited by lew